Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to organize a quilt meet up? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-organize-quilt-meet-up-t277127.html)

Gerrycnx 03-26-2016 10:53 PM

How to organize a quilt meet up?

Hi

I am a "lonely" beginner quilter...I mean, I do not have so much choice because in Chiang Mai (Thailand) where I leave there is not quilt guilds or similar meetings. There is a couple of shops that sell craft related stuff and that I think, teach how to quilt but I still do not talk the language enough to understand and to feel comfortable.
Anyway...I found a meetup on the meetup platform on the web...but it looks I am not lucky...because I think the creator of that group left Thailand ... after months there is no messages from her, not answer to my contact request..no meeting scheduled ...

sooooo... to make it short ...I was thinking to start my own meetup. I saw that few other expat quilters joined the group so I contacted them to check if they are interested to create a new group together.

Now...I am a bit scared in case they replied me back and I have to organize something that I never did and on a matter that I do not know very well as I am a real beginner..so I thought to ask you any piece of advice you can have for me:
How to organize a quilt meetup? What I have to think about, how you organize your meetings? How much space I have to provide?
I would like to start a new "quilt-culture" here in Thailand ( there is some group in Bangkok but it is sooo far away)...maybe in few years we can ha a small quilt show or competition here ....(do not blame me...I am a dreamer..)

Thanks a lot to everyone <3<3<3

DOTTYMO 03-26-2016 11:08 PM

If in uk I would start my first meeting to meet up in a coffee shop/ pub, To chat and find out if interest enough to start looking for a venue. A venue costs money and you don't want to be out of pocket. From the initial chat you will find this out. Look for a venue with enough room fora specific number. You need electric, tables chairs drink making facilities and possible food store if staying all day. You may need to take extra mats and rulers and cutters. You also need the space to have good lights and washrooms. Hope this helps.

Tartan 03-27-2016 05:31 AM

yes do a meet up in a public place like a coffee shop or similar. If interest is there, look first for a free venue like a meeting room at a public library and go from there.

dunster 03-27-2016 06:24 AM

I prefer doing my sewing on my own time, in my own space, but I love to meet with other quilters to talk, see quilts, share ideas, learn new techniques, etc. I would meet with the other quilters and find out what kind of activities you might all enjoy doing together. A public place is a good idea for the first meeting.

Gerrycnx 03-27-2016 06:27 AM

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. They are very useful!

I was thinking to organize a space in my hose for 3-4 persons just for start...as I do not think there will be many replies.
I am not sure if I can get to a public place for gathering...I don't even know if there are public spaces like that here . The idea was just starting small like friends than if it works and there is interest we can even rent a place all togheter. I cannot afford to offer for everyone and I am not thinking to make money from that.
Maybe I need one more big tavbe and a couple of cutting boards for starting...and maybe they have better ideas on how to do that.

quiltingbuddy 03-27-2016 06:49 AM

I think you are on the right track. Maybe at the first meeting you can tell your new friends what you told us...that you are a beginner but want others to quilt with and maybe tell them you don't know exactly where to start. Quilters are always wonderful and understanding. If they want to quilt or learn alongside of you together you will all make it work out. Ask what supplies each other has and are willing to bring to share etc. I'd lay it out there and see where it takes you. I think you are really brave to put yourself out there like that! I quilt at another lady's house with her and another friend or two about once a month and it's loads of fun. We bring our own projects and our sewing machines and have a grand time learning from each other and helping each other. I hope this turns out to be everything you are hoping for.

Gerrycnx 03-27-2016 07:16 AM

Thanks quiltingbuddy for incouraging me. I Really hope it works ...I have to say that even if at works I meet a lot of people I feel lonely here. That's why I am trying to push myself over the 'confort zone'.

ManiacQuilter2 03-27-2016 07:44 AM

I agree with Tartan. I wouldn't let strangers to your house. Start at a local restaurant and then you can maybe move it to a better location. Good Luck!

willferg 03-27-2016 09:19 AM

I went to a meet up for quilting in my area. The woman who formed us kindly invited us to her home. There were four of us, with varying degrees so sewing and/or quilting experience. I would say we were not any of us on the same page in regards to quilting, but it was still nice to meet.

Then the lady who hosted it dropped out and disappeared, and that was the end of that. Kind of strange.

So I salute you for going for it and I wish you well. I don't regret attending and wish things had gone differently.

Boston1954 03-27-2016 10:15 AM

There is a little group that meets at our church. If you could find a place that is comfortable and has some of those nice big tables to work at, you might find that some people would be interested.

A lady from the city a few miles from here had one at her house. My sister and I only got to go three times, as the lady had some problems with her health. I miss it.