Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to organize quilting books in a sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-organize-quilting-books-sewing-room-t105955.html)

ccthomas 03-08-2011 06:21 AM

I love quilting books. There have been many posts on sewing rooms and organizing fabric, notions.

What is the best way to organize books? I know there is no "quilting library police" in my home but I wonder if there is a better way. Subject | Topic ? such as all applique? or by author? or is it easier to do by themes? Holiday? Maybe by year (as I have some really "older quilt books" or just A to Z but would it be easier by author or the name of the quilting book?

lovingmama 03-08-2011 06:30 AM

I would organize them by what I remember about the books.
Do you remember the author more, or the titles, may be by content.

I would organize them by content, paper piecing together, applique' together.

Whatever makes it easier for you.

scowlkat 03-08-2011 07:30 AM

I keep mine together by subject first. However, I do have some authors that I try to collect all their books (Karen Combs and RaNae Merrill for example) so I keep those all together.

SuzyQ 03-08-2011 07:36 AM

*If* I were to really organize, I would put them by subject and then by author if I had multiple books by the same author. I have way more magazines than books and I organize them by magazine.

quilter68 03-08-2011 08:21 AM

I can't resist some quilting books and therein lyes(sp) the problem.

And I am also collecting all of the state documentation books that I can find. These books go from inexpensive to I'll have to save up for that one.

Books are everywhere in my house. I really have to work on this problem. I would use subject matter to store them.

the casual quilter 03-08-2011 08:51 AM

Mine are loosely organized by content - paper piecing, machine quilting, applique, etc. But I found that there are a couple of books I use all the time, so I keep them together in front of the rest. Books that I use rarely go in the closet.

kjdavis4 03-08-2011 08:53 AM

I just organized my quilting books about 2 weeks ago. I organized by subject. It has made it easier for me to find books. I am not that familiar with the authors to organize it that way.

penducksue 03-08-2011 09:00 AM

I have mine alphabetically arranged on bookshelves. Then I have a notebook (an address book they sell for about a dollar at Meijer,etc-they are the size of a 2-year calendar) in which I have all my books listed-since I have purchased several twice! I carry the notebook with me since it doesn't take up much space. Each book has sticky notes on the patterns I want to try at some time or another.
I have another of the same type book for my purchased patterns-for the same reasons.
Yes, for some reason I'm anal about alphabetizing-I do the same thing for my spices whenever possible. Now if my sewing room could be as organized life would be great!

emerald46 03-08-2011 09:08 AM

Penduksue and I must be related. Alphabetically arranged everything including spices...except pantry and fabric, both by color...lol.

Melinda in Tulsa 03-08-2011 09:21 AM

Mine are just stuck anywhere I can find a space for them!