Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to piece curves?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-piece-curves-t61422.html)

salemmm 08-26-2010 05:34 AM

I have two kits ( same) called "wheel of mystery". They are pre-cut curved bali pieces.... but it looks intimidating to me. I've finished two quilts so far and was thinking of combining the 2 kits to make a larger quilt. One makes a finished 40" x 50" wall hanging. Any tips on sewing curved pieces? Do I use the regular foot / walking foot? Kits by John Flynn--very pretty. Thanks for any input

Butterflyblue 08-26-2010 05:44 AM

I piece curves using a regular sewing foot, not my walking foot. I pin A LOT. Sometimes using a stiletto to guide the fabric helps the curve be smoother, since you have a little more control. Actually, my "stiletto" is a bamboo barbecue skewer.

The concave curve needs to be clipped (about 1/8" or so) and sew with the concave curve on top. This prevents a lot of problems with tucks and puckers.

If you've got a kit with little room for error, I'd try making some curved pieces out of scraps and practice on them first.

Butterflyblue 08-26-2010 05:46 AM

Don't get hung up on perfectionism. Sometimes giving a piece a good steam pressing will minimize some of the problems.

Also measure your pieces after they're pieced, to make sure the dimensions are correct. Trim to size if needed.

Pamela Artman 08-26-2010 05:55 AM

I just finished a double wedding ring quilt and it has a LOT of curves!! Just pin each seam, starting in the center, then ends, then in between. One side will be fuller, sew with that side on top so you can smooth as you go and not get any puckers sewn in. I started clipping the curves, but found that it sewed just as well (and saved time) not to clip. Sew slow and you'll do fine!

lovequiltedstars 08-26-2010 06:14 AM

Thanks to all of you who answered this question. I have been cutting out pieces for a DWR and have never sewn curves before.
Thank you salemmm for asking the question I have been wanting to for a long time now.

Yarn or Fabric 08-26-2010 06:22 AM

I am considering getting the Curve Master foot. I am completely intrigued by it and am thinking I'll take the plunge.... I love piecing curves for drunkards paths but that thing would make it so much easier :)

buttonhead 08-26-2010 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
I am considering getting the Curve Master foot. I am completely intrigued by it and am thinking I'll take the plunge.... I love piecing curves for drunkards paths but that thing would make it so much easier :)

Does this foot fit any sewing machine? Or perhaps it is made for one particular brand.

Yarn or Fabric 08-26-2010 06:39 AM

It will fit any machine. It comes with all sorts of adapters if you don't have a snap on foot. Ken's Sewing has it on Amazon for $20. I am seriously considering ordering that and the adjustable binder foot as well...

sewcrafty 08-26-2010 06:48 AM

When I do curved piecing, 1st start with the pinning. I pin the edges first and foremost, then the center then towards the outside pins. This helps in mimimizing wrinkles in your seams. I use a reg. sewing foot and go realllllllly slow.

twistedstitcher 08-26-2010 07:01 AM

I made the Wheel of Mystery from the John Flynn kit and it's really easy so don't be intimidated. Just follow the suggestions in the kit for sewing the pieces together. I can't remember exactly what it says but I know I didn't do a lot of pinning. As long as you match the notches the rest will match up.