Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to Plan your Seams? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-plan-your-seams-t293515.html)

janjanq 12-25-2017 04:23 AM

I have become a fan of using sashing strips and cornerstones between blocks. I usually don't have much trouble piecing a block, but when piecing blocks together, especially a BOM or Sampler type quilt, the seam issue is eliminated by using sashing strips.

deeleigh 12-25-2017 05:07 AM

need to ask....if you press seams open how do you stitch in the ditch? I do this a lot or cross hatch(think that is what is called) I cannot master free motion after hand surgery and bum fingers Merry Christmas to all!!! Dee

SusieQOH 12-25-2017 05:33 AM

I like the idea of pressing seams open. When I started quilting it was a huge no-no but unless I'm using a fabric that the seams will show through why not? I'm going to give it a go on my next project.
I really don't know of a way to remedy your problem other than to re-press the seams when it's completed, right before sandwiching, I just did that and it worked fine. I do think that sometimes it's unavoidable though. (but not a big deal)

JENNR8R 12-25-2017 06:59 AM

I press all my seams open with the stitch length reduced to 2.0. I never have to think twice about which direction to press the seam.

I've never hesitated in stitching in the ditch either and have never had a problem. I'm not good enough to only catch the threads. There is plenty of fabric sewn in the ditch to hold it together.

dorismae904 12-25-2017 07:08 AM

If I'm putting string blocks together without sashing, I use a larger seam and press them open. Works well but I too am now a fan of sashing. I make a lot of string blocks with muslim backs but my boxes of strings never seem to get smaller.

NJ Quilter 12-25-2017 08:47 AM

I usually press all my seams open as well. Having been doing this for years. I honestly feel I get more accurate piecing this way vs 'nesting' as well. I can stab exactly in the middle of a seam to match up the next piece instead of being next to the seam for stabbing/matching purposes. And I've yet to have an issue with any of my quilts as far as I know due to the seams being pressed open. Also makes for much flatter blocks in general as well as those that have multiple seams meeting in the center. Much less bulk to deal with.

Only exception is paper piecing. I just never think about pressing those seams open after I trim.

b.zang 12-25-2017 02:40 PM

I've been known to re-press seams, sometimes more than once. First, I press the seam back to flat, then press in the direction I want it to go. Thanks for asking the question. There are some good ideas here.

JudyTheSewer 12-25-2017 03:03 PM

Somehow I have it in my head that the habit of pressing seams to one side when piecing is so that the batting doesn't work its way through the stitching. Did I make that up or did I read that somewhere?

maviskw 12-26-2017 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 7968647)
I've been known to do the following:

1. Use a hammer to smash a too thick seam- put a board under it, or lay it on the concrete sidewalk. This is an old tailor’s trick and it works very well for places where multiple seams intersect.

This trick is a good one, but please don't use a regular hammer. The rubber maul will do less damage to your fabric and will do the job. I have a small one, and it works great.

QuiltingNinaSue 12-26-2017 01:28 PM

Hammer??? Never had that problem and I have made a number of Stack 'n Whack with Bethany Reynolds book on Stack n Whack. When sewing three 45 degree pieces together, you stop short of the end of the piece that goes to the center... By not sewing the on fourth inch seam, it allows the ends to twist on the inside of the piece. The seam connecting the two rows catch all the seams together, so no open seam. I also use Eleanor Burns idea from four pieces together, to let them 'twist' on the back side. Again, its ripping back about two or three stitches on the back side so they twist. I have heard that pressing the seam open, weakens the seam, but have not experienced or seen any where that happened. Yes, even Jenny Beyer supplies offered for sale includes a 'hammer' to use on stubborn seams, so many quilters do use them. I will try to post a picture of multiple seams coming together to illustrate what I am saying. Sometimes a picture is worth more than a 1000 words. Works for me.