Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to price a hand quilted quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-price-hand-quilted-quilt-t212666.html)

zayace 02-01-2013 10:16 AM

How to price a hand quilted quilt?

I just started quilting and I love it. I want to start selling some that I've made, but I'm not sure how to price them. I want to cover my price of fabric and I feel my time is worth something. Any suggestions would help!!!

QuiltnNan 02-01-2013 02:12 PM

i can't help you, but wanted to welcome you to the board. :)

PaperPrincess 02-01-2013 03:19 PM

Welcome to the board. This has been discussed many times. Pricing is a difficult, and it will vary by geographic location. A rule of thumb is 3 times the RETAIL, NON SALE price of your materials. unfortunately, you may not even make minimum wage for your time. People want to pay the same price for a hand made quilt as they would one from a discount store.

Sandygirl 02-01-2013 06:36 PM

Hand quilted vs machine quilted....

mimmy96 02-01-2013 06:59 PM

You make more from hand quilted don't you? I am also new to quilting! Welcome to the board! :)

sewingsuz 02-01-2013 07:11 PM

Welcome to the board from Arizona. I am not sure of this pricing. I thing I would try to get triple the cost of All the fabric and batting, thread, and anything else you have in the quilt.

NJ Quilter 02-01-2013 07:28 PM

My answer - PRICELESS! But I agree with PaperPrincess. You'll be lucky to get your labor covered when all is said and done. There are certainly those few folks who will appreciate and pay for hand-crafted work, but they are few and far between. As long as you're not planning to make a living at this, go for it. But don't bet the rent.

Scissor Queen 02-01-2013 07:47 PM

The problem is you can buy "hand quilted" quilts in lots and lots of stores for less than a hundred bucks. And yes, they are actually hand quilted.

mermaid 02-02-2013 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5831506)
The problem is you can buy "hand quilted" quilts in lots and lots of stores for less than a hundred bucks. And yes, they are actually hand quilted.

Yes they are hand quilted, and I've heard by children in ''sweat factories''. But as my mom used to say, you can get your toes hung in the stitches and can never get free! Some time back (I've 'retired' myself) I was hand quilting and using a formula some Mennonites and Amish use--that was $.0150 (one and half cents?) per linear inch. Example: Standard full size is 72x90 @ .01 1/2 per linear inch = $135. An additional $50 for pattern quilting in sashing or blocks, or as agreed on considering amt of work involved. Of course, this does not include the fabric or the labor making and putting the quilt together. It was just for hand quilting. I managed to do 10 or 11 stitches per inch...so your proficiency is also considered.

zayace 02-02-2013 11:54 AM

Thank you for all you opinions, and the friendly welcome. I'm leaning alot with the help of boards like this!

:thumbup:

Originally Posted by zayace (Post 5830098)
I just started quilting and I love it. I want to start selling some that I've made, but I'm not sure how to price them. I want to cover my price of fabric and I feel my time is worth something. Any suggestions would help!!!