Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to print a quilt lable (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-print-quilt-lable-t279231.html)

Jane Quilter 06-03-2016 02:53 AM

How to print a quilt lable

I want to type a quilt lable, and then print it on to white fabric and then sew, not iron on, to the back of my new quilt. What product do I use? (I have an HP laser printer)

OhCanada 06-03-2016 03:11 AM

I iron freezer paper to the back of my fabric that I want to print on, then use my rotary cutter to trim it exactly to the size of a piece of printer paper, load it into my HP printer and print. I use Avery.com or the free Avery app to actually help me design the label - they have oodles of free graphics so I can add a frame around my label or seasonal motifs, lots of fonts to choose from as well. I usually design 3 labels at a time so as to not waste fabric. After printing I let the labels dry overnight and then treat it with a little Retayne to set the colours then hand sew it onto my quilt back. I think you can buy fabric especially made to go into a printer - but that is not available here and the freezer paper method is economical and works well.

Gail B 06-03-2016 03:18 AM

I'm not sure you can use a laser printer for this. I think you need an ink jet printer.

ckcowl 06-03-2016 03:29 AM

Check your printer owners manual. Some ( laser printers) can Not be used to print on fabric, some do ok.
You have a couple choices ( if your printer is able) you can use ( pfd-- prepared for dyeing) fabric ironed to freezer paper & cut to printer paper size to run through the printer. ( to prepare fabric for dyeing prewash it, with detergent No fabric softener) iron ( No starch or sizing) you want to remove all chemicals, oils from the fabric.
There are also on the market (Printer Fabric Sheets) a few different brands to purchase --June Taylor is the ones our Joanne's carries-- our office max also carries them ( I think Printed Treasures brand) I always print a sample on paper first. Then ( make sure all edges of fabric is secure to the freezer paper ( Not wax paper! Freezer paper) I use paper tape to secure edges. Then I remove all paper & run my fabric sheets through one at a time ( I have an inkjet printer specific for printing on fabric and printing photos.

PaperPrincess 06-03-2016 04:00 AM

Although I have read about using freezer paper in a laser printer, I personally would not chance it. The drum gets very hot and the plastic from the paper can melt onto it and ruin it. I would ask around and see if a friend or relative has an ink jet printer you can use.

ManiacQuilter2 06-03-2016 05:05 AM

Have you thought of writing out your message with a Micron pen?? I don't put anything thru my old H/P inkjet printer because I don't want to damage it.

Jane Quilter 06-03-2016 05:52 AM

I ruined my last laser printer printing a label on fabric. My husband laughed it off. He wont laugh if I do it again. Which is why I am looking for a product to buy, that says its ok and has specific instructions. Cost is cheap compared to a new printer.

Sephie 06-03-2016 06:00 AM

I don't use the printer for the same reason as Maniac. I fear ruining the printer and both of ours are quite expensive. I do, however, use a very cheap method of ink pad and alphabet stamps to stamp out a message, quilt info, names, etc. It's actually kind of fun! I use the VersaCraft black ink but you could certainly use other colors. Let dry, then I heat set for 2min per side and it sits for awhile before washing anyway because I attach with fusible web before quilting. The ink has done really well through the washings so far.

OhCanada 06-03-2016 06:14 AM

My printer is an inkjet - everything I've read says to use an inkjet printer.

Jane Quilter 06-03-2016 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7567214)
Have you thought of writing out your message with a Micron pen?? I don't put anything thru my old H/P inkjet printer because I don't want to damage it.

like this????
http://www.amazon.com/Sakura-30061-3...ds=micron+pens