Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to quilt minecraft (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-quilt-minecraft-t308494.html)

Dkm 12-08-2019 02:24 PM

How to quilt minecraft

I think everyone knows what the Minecraft quilts look like. I need advice on how to quilt it. Fmq is an option but how would that look through the faces of the blocks. I intend on straight line quilting on the dashing between blocks but don’t think this would be enough for holding the quilt together. I’m not real proficient in my quilting skills so something simple would be preferable. Thanks.

LAF2019 12-08-2019 03:46 PM

I think that keeping a consistent straight line throughout the whole quilt would work, or create a grid. could be horizontal/vertical or diagonal.

Claire123 12-08-2019 08:50 PM

Either one would work fine. You could straight-line quilt first around the blocks and then quilt inside each. Or, you could pick an all over design and go from edge to edge. Pick a thread that blends in with everything.

Some people have luck with quilting designs that resemble a cursive letter, such as a capital L or C, even a lower case f looks nice. Also try searching straight line designs. If your quilt is very large, I'd minimize the turns.

Tartan 12-08-2019 09:10 PM

​Since the minecraft blocks I have seen are made up of squares to resemble the pixelated characters, I would quilt it in squares. The crosshatching would make them look like on the screen.

Jordan 12-09-2019 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8337939)
​Since the minecraft blocks I have seen are made up of squares to resemble the pixelated characters, I would quilt it in squares. The crosshatching would make them look like on the screen.

I agree with Tartan that crosshatching quilting would not be too appropriate for all the square designs in your quilt.

cathyvv 12-09-2019 11:42 AM

Of course, if the recipient loves MineCraft enough, the quilting itself won't be noticed. Nonetheless, I agree that square quilting would work best.

Dkm 12-09-2019 12:45 PM

Minecraft

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 8338135)
Of course, if the recipient loves MineCraft enough, the quilting itself won't be noticed. Nonetheless, I agree that square quilting would work best.

Thanks. I had considered this, so I’m going to give it a try. Thanks everyone.

OutdoorQuilter 12-09-2019 09:47 PM

Might I give an overly informed opinion? Each block in Minecraft is immediately recognizable to every player and each has a unique texture. So depending on what scene you've chosen whoever is getting this quilt will know if it's cobblestone vs. Diorite. Are they wearing gold, emerald, or leather armour? Are they on dirt or granite? Creepers are especially textured because of their camo appearance, Ender men are smooth... So quilting doesn't have to be just a grid. It can be! BUT, if you are looking for something different, demonstrating a knowledge of the games workings would be incredibly boss of you.

MicheleC 12-10-2019 08:33 AM

What about quilting a maze or labyrinth like design? It would be straight lines but wouldn’t have to be just a cross hatch or stitch in the ditch.

TXgirlinBDA 12-11-2019 06:05 AM

I did 5 (yup, Five!!) Minecraft quilts this year. Three were for brothers, and I quilted those with slightly wavy lines going across the quilt. I didn’t want the stress of staying parallel and even to the blocks and I was in a hurry. It worked well.
The other two are for my daughters and I did those in a meander. I’m much happier with the meander.
I’ll try to post a photo.