Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how to quilt a snail's trail quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-quilt-snails-trail-quilt-t149518.html)

AlwaysQuilting 09-01-2011 04:31 AM

I'm stumped. I made a snails trail quilt earlier this summer and have had it ready to quilt for two months, but can't decide "how". Cross hatching is my "go to" method. Or sometimes straight up and down, like tic-tac-toe. SID isn't possible this time. FMQ frightens me although I've done it twice on small quilts.
This thing is going to never get done and end up in my closet if I can't decide "how" to quilt it.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-01-2011 04:40 AM

I sooo love that pattern!! I really want to say something curvy for the quilting but I'm terrified of FMQ :D
I need to keep practicing. I'm such a weenie lol

QuiltE 09-01-2011 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
This thing is going to never get done and end up in my closet if I can't decide "how" to quilt it.

And sometimes it might be better to wait til you are sure that's what you want!!

What about some echo quilting on the two oppposite snails? And leave the other two plain. Of course, that would be dependent on the size of your blocks, as to whether it'd be enough quilting.

While it may be more work for you, perhaps make a few extra Snail's Trail blocks for a small quilt or pot holders etc. and try your possibilities before you go at your quilt.

katier825 09-01-2011 05:05 AM

I did kind of a loopy back and forth on mine, following the contour of the design. I don't have the pics on this computer though. If I remember, I'll check when I get home and upload one for you.

kuseta 09-01-2011 05:21 AM

I echo quilted the shapes of the all the snails using my walking foot. It's just lots and lots of turning, but looks great.

snipforfun 09-01-2011 07:36 AM

Maybe you can see how the quilt in my avatar is quilted. Lots of circles.

AlwaysQuilting 09-01-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
Maybe you can see how the quilt in my avatar is quilted. Lots of circles.

No I can't see the quilting (I love the quilt BTW). But I never thought of circles! That may be the answer. Thanks

AlwaysQuilting 09-01-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
I did kind of a loopy back and forth on mine, following the contour of the design. I don't have the pics on this computer though. If I remember, I'll check when I get home and upload one for you.

I'd really like to see it. Thanks

AlwaysQuilting 09-01-2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I sooo love that pattern!! I really want to say something curvy for the quilting but I'm terrified of FMQ :D
I need to keep practicing. I'm such a weenie lol

Meet another weenie! lol

katier825 09-01-2011 02:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting

Originally Posted by katier825

I'd really like to see it. Thanks

here you go.