Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to quilt this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-quilt-t309551.html)

habell07 02-02-2020 10:13 AM

How to quilt this?

1 Attachment(s)
Need help deciding how to quilt this. Straight lines? Diagonal lines? FMG? Nothing too dense—I prefer fluffy, warm quilts. Also what color thread?

juliasb 02-02-2020 10:18 AM

First of all I would use a black or a monofilament thread that will not show. The black being the first choice because it will give more depth to the stained glass pieces. I would do a FMQ that meanders over the fabric in larger areas if you want that kind of dimension in the quilt. SITD of course is a good option and you will still have plenty of space between each area and keep the quilt nice and fluffy. No matter, it is always the quilter's choice and I just want to see it when you finish it.

Tartan 02-02-2020 10:49 AM

How are your FMQ skills? If you want simple, you could use the serpentine stitch with black thread and your walking foot to go down the center of the block sashing. After that is done, I would go back in and FMQ in the rectangles maybe ribbon candy design?

selm 02-02-2020 12:14 PM

Looking at it I would suggest just quilting in black thread around the stained glass in the middle of the sashing. If the batting spacing allows I'd be inclined to just go around each unit made up of 3 small squares with 3 long bars.
Or you could so SID around those units. Either way, the units would look like their own stained window.

I'm with you less is better(and fluffier)

BTW I love your quilt!

Hooligan 02-02-2020 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by selm (Post 8357213)
Looking at it I would suggest just quilting in black thread around the stained glass in the middle of the sashing. If the batting spacing allows I'd be inclined to just go around each unit made up of 3 small squares with 3 long bars.
Or you could so SID around those units. Either way, the units would look like their own stained window.

I'm with you less is better(and fluffier)

BTW I love your quilt!

Echoes Selm's thought, this design would work great with simple straight lines imo. Nice looking quilt top :thumbup:

mindless 02-02-2020 12:47 PM

Just wanted to say....your top is really, really pretty!

Jingle 02-02-2020 04:05 PM

I would FMQ all over it. That is mainly what I do.

Barb in Louisiana 02-02-2020 04:50 PM

I wouldn't put anything in your colored pieces. I would only stitch in the black sashing. A weaving line, a ribbon like line or even little bitty waves. Or just squiggles from side to side. And use black thread. I would want to make the colored pieces stand out.

copycat 02-03-2020 03:26 AM

Awesome quilt!

Originally Posted by habell07 (Post 8357154)
Need help deciding how to quilt this. Straight lines? Diagonal lines? FMG? Nothing too dense—I prefer fluffy, warm quilts. Also what color thread?

I would start in the upper left corner and come down as if drawing a number 6 and swirl in and back out and up for the next swirl. There are many ways to make swirls. I like to do some type of curve quilting designs when the blocks of the quilt are straight lines. As for the thread color, I would want a very light weight thread to give the quilt texture, but not take away from the beauty of the quilt blocks. I would have to audition the thread color choice on some fabric scraps...light grey or creme. Good luck and show us what you decide.

aashley333 02-03-2020 03:54 PM

I agree with Barb in Louisiana. The batiks will look more like stained glass if you quilt the black areas.
You have inspired me to put this quilt on my to-do list. Love it!