Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to recognize the “Quilt Police”.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-recognize-%93quilt-police%94-t296133.html)

madamekelly 04-11-2018 03:10 PM

How to recognize the “Quilt Police”....

We seem to have several “newbies” to our board who have asked us what they need to know, and I figured it could be helpful if we have one place to understand just who the “quiltpolice” are.

“The Instructor” - walks up to a quilt and says “You should have used a different/better
color/pattern/design, etc.”

Conchalea 04-11-2018 03:14 PM

I’m not sure what to call this one-“Make me a quilt for a King-sized bed by this weekend. I’ll pay you $50” because we quilt out of love for the craft, right, & they could buy one just like it at Wal-Mart for that price.

Sync 04-11-2018 03:20 PM

Signs of the "quilt police" .............. You "only" use cotton thread in your quilts because polyester thread will ruin the quilt. Oh and there is always the ............ don't take this the wrong way but ...................

cjsews 04-11-2018 03:23 PM

Oh look. You've cut off all your points

Conchalea 04-11-2018 03:43 PM

My earlier comment didn’t fit the requirement of ‘police.’ For some reason I thought it was comments quilters hear a lot. So this is a relevant comment:
”Your quilt has a mistake in the very center. Did you notice when you pieced it? I’m sure no one else will notice.”

sewbizgirl 04-11-2018 04:00 PM

I take "Quilt Police" to be people who tell you something has to be done only one way to be legitimate quilting. They are not open to new thought or different ideas and methods. For a long time the Quilt Police told people that if they didn't hand quilt their quilts, it wasn't real quilting. That's kind of gone by the wayside now, with all the fun and fancy quilting machines we have. Thank goodness.

Quilt Police are to be ignored at all costs! They will suck the fun right out of your quilting pleasure. :D

Boston1954 04-11-2018 04:09 PM

They tilt their head to one side, and say "Are you sure you want to do it that way??"

I once heard a woman at a quilt show say "You cannot hand quilt through batiks". (I know this is a lie)

sap 04-11-2018 04:11 PM

I agree w all comments! When the "quilt police" come to my house I say "show me the Law for this, that thing, or what ever n I'll do it that way. Don't want to break any laws. n go to jail.

Barb2018 04-11-2018 04:16 PM

I’m torn between two comments I received.
1) Oh look, how unique, I never would have thought to put those colors together.
2) You’ve only been quilting a couple of years; you shouldn’t even think of entering a quilt into a competition, even if it is just a county fair.

Boston1954 04-11-2018 04:34 PM

I have one more. I was once told that all bindings should be mitered. I have never done mine that way, and I've not had any complaints from people I gave them to.