Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to replicate this border when machine sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-replicate-border-when-machine-sewing-t284293.html)

Susan7639 12-07-2016 12:26 PM

How to replicate this border when machine sewing

1 Attachment(s)
Hello and thank you for any help you can give me. I am sewing a border for a quilt as seen in the patchwork fabric here. I made this with English paper piecing and it is proving to be ridiculously long and tedious. I would like to ditch it and do it on the machine. I know I can join squares and ly them on the diagonal then turn the half squares under then appliqué stitch to the quilt center. But I can not for the life of me visualize how I would do the brown squares at the inner corner. Can anyone please help me? thank you!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]563318[/ATTACH]

Prism99 12-07-2016 01:05 PM

To be honest, I am not understanding your border. Is the photo a photo of the border, or of the quilt? Usually a border wouldn't have a cutout area like that. Could you post a few more photos and perhaps a link to the pattern? Did you paper piece all those squares together?

GEMRM 12-07-2016 01:17 PM

This looks like one of those quilted picture frames I've seen somewhere - it was a long time ago that I saw it and I can't remember where I did see it. Sorry!
For the brown square, I would piece a full row right on the diagonal and then cut out the small piece that needs to be removed.....(by "full row" I mean a strip that would connect horizontal row of the "frame" with the vertical)

bkay 12-07-2016 01:52 PM

Actually, you could strip piece it, too.

bkay

Gay 12-07-2016 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If I'm understanding correctly, your photo is the border.
You can attach this to the quilt by machine by undoing the triangle where I marked 'A'
Sew the border to the quilt on side 'B' - Then sew side 'C', including the section you undid. You may have to re-do that triangle bit by hand, depending on how large the pieces are.

Hope I've helped
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563321[/ATTACH]

PaperPrincess 12-07-2016 02:40 PM

I would also just use full squares for the brown. Don't trim the excess until you are sure that you will preserve the points. For the one in the inside corner, I would create an hourglass block using all brown fabric, but just omit one of the triangles.

Susan7639 12-07-2016 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7714227)
I would also just use full squares for the brown. Don't trim the excess until you are sure that you will preserve the points. For the one in the inside corner, I would create an hourglass block using all brown fabric, but just omit one of the triangles.

Thank you, I will look up hourglass block, that may be the ticket~!

Susan7639 12-07-2016 02:54 PM

[QUOTE=Gay;7714215]If I'm understanding correctly, your photo is the border.
You can attach this to the quilt by machine by undoing the triangle where I marked 'A'
Sew the border to the quilt on side 'B' - Then sew side 'C', including the section you undid. You may have to re-do that triangle bit by hand, depending on how large the pieces are.

Hope I've helped
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563321[/ATTACH]
Thank you for your very helpful response. I am not trying to attach this to a quilt, I am trying to make a border just like this solely on the machine and I want to attach to the center by applique so there will be no stitches shopping. I don't understand how to make the 3/4 brown square. Heck, Im not even wording the question right :)
SaveSave

Peckish 12-07-2016 05:39 PM

The 3/4 brown square is simply 3 triangles. If you look carefully you can see the seams. The toughest part of sewing it is managing the Y seams.

cjsews 12-07-2016 05:50 PM

Ok if you look at the rows on the diagonal you can see it better Add the quarter square to the Half sq before sewing it to the last yellow square in that row