Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how to see the numbers on sewing machine needles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-see-numbers-sewing-machine-needles-t150401.html)

Ramona Byrd 09-04-2011 07:11 PM

When I get them I put them in a labeled drawer in a tiny fishing lure box. Since the container they come in is labeled it's an easy and convenient way to store them.
It has a lot of drawers so a lot of small sewing "thingeys" stay hidden in plain sight.

miss_ticky2 09-04-2011 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
my husband just told me i should share this discovery......
i don't know what it's called but you look into someone's ear with it, it's lighted and magnified, it's the only thing i have found to work for me.

Lol...I'm a ninny...couldn't work out how you look into someone's ear with a needle and how that would help...lol. Then I read it again and went....ooohhhhhhh...lol. Maybe I need my glasses checked...lol

lalaland 09-05-2011 12:06 AM

Buy a cheap pin cushion. With a pen mark off sections and write needle sizes in each section. When you take an 80/12 out of your machine, put it in the 80/12 section on the pin cushion. That way you can easily keep track of our "loose" needles.

I have a dickens of a time reading those darn numbers too, luckily I inherited a really small very strong magnifier from my grandfather that does the trick!

Yooper32 09-05-2011 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2

i don't know what it's called but you look into someone's ear with it, it's lighted and magnified, it's the only thing i have found to work for me.

Lol...I'm a ninny...couldn't work out how you look into someone's ear with a needle and how that would help...lol. Then I read it again and went....ooohhhhhhh...lol. Maybe I need my glasses checked...lol

Thanks for my morning laugh.

purple_butterfly 09-05-2011 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
I use a jewelers eyeglass

This is what I use too. I got mine from ebay for a few dollars and it's brilliant.

dunster 09-05-2011 03:43 AM

It took me a while to realize that the needles actually had numbers on them. I use a magnifying glass that has a super-close-up area. And I also use the tomato pincushion to store any good needles that I take out of the machine. I just marked the sizes in the divisions of the pincushion with a sharpie.

QuiltnNan 09-05-2011 03:57 AM

i don't know why needles are soooo hard to read! i can thread one with no problem but i sure can't read them!
anyway i paid about $13.00 for this thing at the drugstore because we are having ear trouble in this house, now i have another use for it.

cool idea!

JudeWill 09-05-2011 06:44 AM

I use a little thingy to look at negatives with. I got it when I took a photography course. It's called a lupe. It's 8x and I have no idea what I paid for it.

Grinster 09-05-2011 07:18 AM

I was just trying to figure out how to do this myself this morning!

msdrae 09-05-2011 08:19 AM

That is really funny :D