Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to sew in plastic canvas to reinforce fabric..machine or by hand?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-sew-plastic-canvas-reinforce-fabric-machine-hand-t144058.html)

GrannieAnnie 08-10-2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
I want to try to use the plastic canvas to reinforce the fabric for magnetic snaps, but I am not sure how you attach them. I am afraid to try it by machine, in case the needle breaks, but not quite sure what to do. Is there a thinner canvas that can be machine sewn? The only thing I have seen is very thick/ hard plastic. Any info would be great :)

P.S. I did a search on sewing plastic canvas, but nothing that I needed came up :?:

Would you consider using a couple pieces of craft backing? Plastic canvas is rather brittle and I don't think you'll get the results you're looking for.

Iron on a couple circles of craft backing on the back of each spot where your snaps will be. It's rather stiff and I think would do good for you.

GrannieAnnie 08-10-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
I sew through plastic canvas all the time when i make bottoms for tote bags. I make a fabric pillow case for inside the bottom of the bag and put a piece of plastic canvas in it to make it sturdier. I tuck the open end to the inside and run it along the sewing machine to close it. I set the stitch length to #3. Never had a problem.
peace

this quilter is wanting to use the plastic canvas for a reinforcement for snaps-------------not at all the same application.

BettyGee 08-10-2011 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

I sew through plastic canvas all the time when i make bottoms for tote bags. I make a fabric pillow case for inside the bottom of the bag and put a piece of plastic canvas in it to make it sturdier. I tuck the open end to the inside and run it along the sewing machine to close it. I set the stitch length to #3. Never had a problem.
peace

this quilter is wanting to use the plastic canvas for a reinforcement for snaps-------------not at all the same application.

Oh, I misunderstood too. Pellon makes a craft fuse material that would cut into circle and make good backing. I used it for making Kindle covers to protect the screen and it is very sturdy, but you can cut it to shape.

CoriAmD 08-10-2011 04:20 PM

I used the plastic canvas to make inserts to strengthen the bottom of my shopping bags. Covered them with fabric and sewed thru it. No problem. I figured the worse that could happen is that I would have to replace the needle. I did increase my stitch length on the machine and started slow just in case it didn't work, but it did just fine.
I would think it would work just as well as reinforcement for snaps... same principle.

GrannieAnnie 08-10-2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by BettyGee

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

peace

Oh, I misunderstood too. Pellon makes a craft fuse material that would cut into circle and make good backing. I used it for making Kindle covers to protect the screen and it is very sturdy, but you can cut it to shape.

That's what I use--very substantial. And I think Pellon simply calls it "craft backing" I usually do 3 or 4 layers for the bottom of my purses, each layer cut a tad short of the seam so I can still sew the seams. Washes wonderfully!

GrannieAnnie 08-10-2011 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
I used the plastic canvas to make inserts to strengthen the bottom of my shopping bags. Covered them with fabric and sewed thru it. No problem. I figured the worse that could happen is that I would have to replace the needle. I did increase my stitch length on the machine and started slow just in case it didn't work, but it did just fine.
I would think it would work just as well as reinforcement for snaps... same principle.

The plastic isn't strong enough to stand up to tugging on it as a snap backing would get.