Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to sew this together? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-sew-together-t134553.html)

ssnare 07-01-2011 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I received some blocks that are flannel, 6" squares. They have a 4" square sandwiched between them and are stitched with an X across them. So, I am sure that they are considered "stitch as you go". I have never done this before. I do not know how to join them. If I just make a seam, it will show on the back. Can anyone explain to me how you do this? Below is a picture. They have the same pattern on the backs.

I would appreciate any help or comments. Thank you.

emerald46 07-01-2011 02:49 PM

That looks and sounds like a rag quilt in the making. There are several tutorials here for how it. Love purple & yellow!

MisDixie 07-01-2011 02:51 PM

Looks like the blocks for a rag quilt. The seam is to be on the front then clipped. The seam is usually an inch wide. Once washed and dried the seam gets ragged. Check out pictures on this site. Several rag or rag time quilts posted there.

calla 07-01-2011 03:06 PM

Yes, a rag style or method to finish it..........calla

Summer Spice 07-01-2011 03:45 PM

It would make a great rag tote bag.

Dolphyngyrl 07-01-2011 03:49 PM

I agree with the rag quilt

qbquilts 07-01-2011 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ssnare
I received some blocks that are flannel, 6" squares. They have a 4" square sandwiched between them and are stitched with an X across them. So, I am sure that they are considered "stitch as you go". I have never done this before. I do not know how to join them. If I just make a seam, it will show on the back. Can anyone explain to me how you do this? Below is a picture. They have the same pattern on the backs.

seam them together just outside the inner 4" square so that you've got a 1" seam allowance on the blocks. Keep all the seam to one side (front side). When done, clip the seams to within 1/4" of the seam line about 1/4" to 1/2" apart. Go to a laundry mat and run it through a wash & dry cycle. You may have to repeat for best fluffing. I always recommend the laundry mat b/c the initial fluffing of a rag quilt results in a lot of lint and can be hard on most residential washers/dryers. You'll need to check the lint trap often (I paid 1 quarter at a time, check the lint trap, then another quarter and so on). I'm including a pick of the rag quilt I made. It's a denim/flannel combo, so I don't have the inner smaller square.

Rag Quilt Example
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219532[/ATTACH]

alikat110 07-01-2011 05:30 PM

Rag quilt!

ssnare 07-01-2011 06:34 PM

Thank you. Everyone has said rag quilt or purse, but I did not know how to do this. Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate this.

Originally Posted by qbquilts

Originally Posted by ssnare

seam them together just outside the inner 4" square so that you've got a 1" seam allowance on the blocks. Keep all the seam to one side (front side). When done, clip the seams to within 1/4" of the seam line about 1/4" to 1/2" apart. Go to a laundry mat and run it through a wash & dry cycle. You may have to repeat for best fluffing. I always recommend the laundry mat b/c the initial fluffing of a rag quilt results in a lot of lint and can be hard on most residential washers/dryers. You'll need to check the lint trap often (I paid 1 quarter at a time, check the lint trap, then another quarter and so on). I'm including a pick of the rag quilt I made. It's a denim/flannel combo, so I don't have the inner smaller square.

MisDixie 07-01-2011 06:46 PM

Its so nice to be able to help others out on this board! I sure hope that you post your finished project with these blocks.