Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How should i anchor fabric prior to quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-should-i-anchor-fabric-prior-quilting-t223314.html)

abc123xyz 06-09-2013 07:44 AM

How should i anchor fabric prior to quilting?

I am rather new to quilting. Need more experience in assembling a table runner prior to quilting. What is the best way to anchor all the layers together so one ends up with a smooth finished product? Should I pin or baste or both? What about the basting spray? I have never used it. I hope to stitch in the ditch and wondering if this will work well with a regular foot on my machine. I plan to bind the runner once the quilting is finished. Any tips would be appreciated.

hopflower 06-09-2013 07:52 AM

Being new to quilting myself, this is probably not the best advice, but I just finished my first quilt not long ago: it was a baby quilt, so not too ambitious. But the process is the same. I pinned my layers together and it worked just fine, as I did "stitch in the ditch" and no other fancy quilting work. I had no problems with it on my little machine.

MartiMorga 06-09-2013 08:41 AM

All methods work, so says the experts on the board. The most popular here is the Elmer's Glue method. They have a spray also. You might want to search ALL the posts on this that have been done on this board. Lots and lots of information for you to absorb. Have fun!!!

ckcowl 06-09-2013 08:41 AM

any of the methods you mention are ok---some people always pin baste- if you choose that method tape the backing down smooth, then spread the batting on top smooth & tape the edges down then add the top; make sure everything is smooth & straight then start pinning- in the center- work your way out, up & down in a grid- pins about 4" apart- or each place your fist fits should touch a pin- it is best to "try" to place the pins so they are not in the line of quilting-so you don't take a chance of hitting one, or have to stop & remove them as you go. some people prefer thread basting- especially if you don't like the pinning/un-pinning process- thread a good long hand needle with any utility thread (a good way to use up those little bits left on spools) and making long stitches run stitches again in a grid fashion up, down, across the quilt sandwich - holding everything smooth- the nice thing about thread basting is the basting stitches are pretty easy to remove and it doesn't matter much if you sew over them as you quilt. the third method - spray basting- some people love it & use this method for all their projects, big & small, some only use it for small projects- some hate it...the *cons* smell, over spray, space.... the *pro's* speed, movable (adjustable) nothing to remove later (pins or thread- the spray washes away when the finished item is laundered) you lay out your backing, *put something down to catch over spray-protect surfaces* spray with basting spray- smooth batting over the backing, spray with basting spray, smooth top over complete sandwich- sometimes people will stitch a basting stitch or pin around the edges to hold everything- but for small projects this is generally not necessary- if anything is a bit *off* you can reposition it, then smooth again- when it's dry & secure pick it up & go quilt. you didn't mention the other possibility---fusible batting- is also an option- it has a fusible adhesive on each side of it- you smooth your sandwich together then iron the top smooth over the batting, flip it over & iron the backing to the batting- ready to quilt. as for using a regular foot for quilting (I do it all the time- I hate my walking foot) you should *if possible* ease the pressure foot pressure- lengthen the stitch length, use a thin batting, (warm & natural does work well for this) and if quilting a long line- if you notice it starts to *pull up/pucker* or the stitches start looking tighter- stop, lift the foot & let the sandwich relax before continuing.

hopetoquilt 06-09-2013 05:39 PM

I strongly recommend using a walking foot for both quilting and binding. As for snadwiching, i prefer pins. Buy them once and use repeatedly. No mess. No fumes. Low cost.

charsuewilson 06-09-2013 07:29 PM

I like the basting spray. Haven't tried the glue yet. You're doing a fairly small project, so there shouldn't be much difficulty any way to try to go. You need good ventilation and remember not to overspray with the basting spray.