Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How should I do this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-should-i-do-t104967.html)

luvspaper 03-05-2011 09:02 AM

I agree with using cornerstones to break the stripe ...if you don't then I think the left/right vs top/bottom will stick out like a sore thumb. If you use cornerstones it shouldn't matter which you do first!

Iamquilter 03-05-2011 10:03 AM

I always do the sides first and then add the top and bottom. Your quilt looks lovely.

granny5 03-05-2011 12:20 PM

I am a new quilter, but on the few quilts I have done I always do the sides first and then the top and bottom. That just seems to be a "natual" thing for me. By the way, LOVE your quilt-it is going to be awesome when finished.

dorrell ann 03-05-2011 01:51 PM

Do the sides first and then the top.

Arleners 03-05-2011 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
It's your quilt; do it the way you want to.

AMEN!

KSenn 03-05-2011 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Linda71
How would you do the borders? The pattern says to put on sides and then the top and bottom borders. The blocks are done in the reverse, top and bottom pieces and then sides. I am thinking that I like the look of a long piece across the top.

I don't want to miter them because I want to keep the block- like look. What would you do? Opinions please.

One of my favorite things about quilting is there are no rules. You can do whatever you like!

mjorgenson 03-05-2011 03:49 PM

By doing the sides first, the top and bottom are a continuous line. The human eye likes to follow a horizontal line better than a vertical one, so it makes the quilt more pleasing to look at.

Bev 03-05-2011 03:58 PM

That is a really good looking quilt!
Put sides or top and bottom on first. To me it makes no difference.

countryone77 03-05-2011 04:21 PM

How would you do the borders? The pattern says to put on sides and then the top and bottom borders. The blocks are done in the reverse, top and bottom pieces and then sides. I am thinking that I like the look of a long piece across the top.

I don't want to miter them because I want to keep the block- like look. What would you do? Opinions please.

For rectangular quilts, the length is usually greater than the width. Say that I have a quilt, whose finished center is 40" x 60" and I want the finished border size to be 5" wide. (I am using finished sizes below. Add ½" to all sizes to add the seam allowances.)

Add Side Borders First
==============
The length of my side border strips will be the center's length, 60" long.

If I add the side borders first, then I am added 5" to both sides of the finished quilt's width, so I now have

width = 40 + (2 x 5) = 50

So my top and bottom borders will be 50" long.

Add Top & Bottom Borders First
====================
The length of my top and bottom border strips will be the center's width, 40" long.

If I add the top and bottom borders first, then I am added 5" to each, which adds 10" to the finished quilt's length, so I now have

length = 60 + (2 x 5) = 70

So my side borders will be 70" long.

Finished Quilt
=========
In both cases the finished quilt will be 50" x 70", because we added 5" to all sides. If you sew on the side borders first, then the length of your borders will be

side border length: 60"
top/bottom border length: 50"
Total length of fabric = 2x60 + 2x50 = 220"

If you sew on the top & bottom borders first, then the length of your borders will be

sides border length: 70"
top/bottom border length: 40"
Total length of fabric = 2x70 + 2x40 = 220"

I am using the same total amount of fabric, but when I sew on the top & side borders first, then I must deal with a longer length for the side borders. So, if you are not piecing long borders, then it is a little more economical to sew on the side borders first, because you can purchase a shorter length of fabric. If you make small quilts and cut the borders across the WOF (Width of Fabric), then this is not an issue.

Another option would be to use cornerstones in your border.

donnalynett 03-05-2011 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
How about using corner blocks in your border - that way it really won't make a difference. Use the stripe for the border (or whatever you were planning on) and the red for the corner blocks. That will tie it in to the overall quilt look.

Here is a picture of the pattern. I thought I was almost done but thanks to you I am wondering about countinuing the small red squares at the corners of all the squares. Thanks for the idea.

I love your quilt!