Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How should I quilt this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-should-i-quilt-t211406.html)

Lee in Richmond 01-19-2013 11:55 AM

How should I quilt this?

2 Attachment(s)
I had bought some 3" precut squares on eBay, and then tried to find something to do with them. I found myself rearranging what probably should have been random and creating some patterns. I put it aside, then needed a baby quilt for a graphic artist, who might think this is actually good...

I am not a confident quilter and usually resort to stitch in the ditch. Not all these lines run the same way, however, and now that it's sandwiched I see some of my intersections aren't perfect. What ideas do you have for how I can best quilt this? I have gotten so much help from you quilters that I feel I can ask once again.

ckcowl 01-19-2013 12:25 PM

i would probably do swirls across it. or even a large meandering with stars, hearts, what ever catches me at the moment here & there- something curvy.

mighty 01-19-2013 12:36 PM

I agree with ckcowl curvy would look really good. Great quilt!!!!

PaperPrincess 01-19-2013 12:40 PM

I love the visual impact of this quilt! From your photo it looks like the only place you had a slight problem with seams matching is along the yellow stripe. don't know if your machine has any decorative stitches, but what I would do is a decorative stitch along both the seams of the 3 long diagonal pieces (the 2 corals and the yellow). Then go with something curvy as ckcowl suggested, I would go with a meander. You will have to quilt something inside the stripes in addition to the decorative stiches to secure the batting.

Tartan 01-19-2013 12:41 PM

An all over meander would look good or curves as others have mentioned. If you don't think you can do those, I think SITD on the triangles that make up the strips would look good. I would then echo those lines down the strips to play up the pattern.

callen 01-19-2013 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5797703)
An all over meander would look good or curves as others have mentioned. If you don't think you can do those, I think SITD on the triangles that make up the strips would look good. I would then echo those lines down the strips to play up the pattern.

I would agree with Tartan - great looking quilt, love it.

Lilrain 01-19-2013 02:09 PM

something curvy would look great

5moose 01-19-2013 02:14 PM

WOW....Love the colors. I think you don't need a lot of "over quilting". I like the simple meandering look. The quilt will shine with something simple!

Lilrain 01-19-2013 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain (Post 5797836)
something curvy would look great

And sometimes instead of stitching in the ditch, I quilt 1/4" from the ditch, using the side of my foot for a guide. You can do it all on one side of each seam, or on both sides.

quilttiger 01-19-2013 06:10 PM

Your quilt is lovely...if you use a quilting design with leaves in it, it will do a nice job of uniting the colors and shapes as well as pulling attention away from the seams. An all over fern type, swirly leaf design would look pretty!