Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How should I quilt this???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-should-i-quilt-t224742.html)

Sailorwoman 06-28-2013 05:27 PM

How should I quilt this????

1 Attachment(s)
I have been looking at this for days and I still don't know how I want to quilt this. I thought of one all-over FMQ but I'm afraid that would be too boring. I have considered quilting a different motif in each block but I don't want it so busy that it overwhelms the design. I have also considered a different motif on every second block with the other blocks done in the same FMQ - perhaps some swirls or circles. I am really at a loss so all suggestions are welcome.

Cybrarian 06-28-2013 05:53 PM

My suggestion would be-the "pie slice" part of the block lends itself to lines like Sun rays, picture 1/4th of a Dresden plate. The "pie crust" part of the block would look good with some type of curved line design. Your quilt top is beautiful!

DogHouseMom 06-28-2013 06:08 PM

Do you plan on it being a wall hanging or a quilt to keep someone warm?

I would do different and opposing filler designs in each of the elements ... but nothing "formal". Ripples, pebbles, meanders, swirls, mctavish ... etc. By "opposing" I mean that each section that touches each other has either a pattern in a different direction or patterns that "clash" (ripples next to swirls for example).

If it's going to be a quilt to keep a body warm I would use perhaps no more than 3-4 different designs and quilt them fairly loosely.

If it's going to be a wall hanging I would choose a wider variety - 5-7, and quilt it more densely.

Sailorwoman 06-28-2013 06:10 PM

Thank you for the advice and the compliment. The pattern is Elegant Expressions designed by Elizabeth Allocco. I wanted it as a bed-sized quilt so I added more blocks.

Dina 06-28-2013 06:40 PM

What a great quilt!!! I have no advice for quilting it, but it sure is pretty!

Dina

DOTTYMO 06-28-2013 10:14 PM

Beautiful quilt. My first thought was to keep the circle shapes to stand out. Enormous snails swirly shapes.

Gay 06-28-2013 10:55 PM

Love your quilt - beautiful colours - very autumnal like falling leaves. How about an all-over design of larger leaves.

Jane Jetson 06-28-2013 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian (Post 6149258)
My suggestion would be-the "pie slice" part of the block lends itself to lines like Sun rays, picture 1/4th of a Dresden plate. The "pie crust" part of the block would look good with some type of curved line design. Your quilt top is beautiful!

This was my first thought, too. I would make it like a New York Beauty. I love that pattern. Echo quilting inside the "pie" would be pretty.

You have many options. So lovely.

wishfulthinking 06-29-2013 02:56 AM

I like your quilt a lot an agree with Cybraian's suggestion. It'll look great!

jemma 06-29-2013 07:53 PM

love the quilt love the colour mix--no idears on how to quilt sorry