Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How small can the fabric get before it's no longer useful? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-small-can-fabric-get-before-its-no-longer-useful-t40847.html)

bronnyb 03-27-2010 05:17 AM

I'm a relative newcomer to the craft, but have found that for some reason, I cannot bring myself to throw away the offcuts - even to the small size of 1.75" x 1" scraps.
I've even kept ripped strips 'just in case'

How small are your scraps before you consider them of no further use??

raptureready 03-27-2010 05:28 AM

Miniature quilts use tiny scraps, threads can be thrown outside for the birds to use in their nests so. . . . .

A lot of depends on just how frugal you want to be or how much you want to challenge yourself.

QuiltingGrannie 03-27-2010 05:41 AM

I am saving my tiny strips and torn strips to braid together and make mini braided rugs. Not sure what I am going to do with them after that - don't own a doll house to use them in, but maybe by the time I make a few an idea will come to me.
Tiny pieces also can be used to make book marks, greeting cards etc. I save them all.

raptureready 03-27-2010 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
I am saving my tiny strips and torn strips to braid together and make mini braided rugs. Not sure what I am going to do with them after that - don't own a doll house to use them in, but maybe by the time I make a few an idea will come to me.
Tiny pieces also can be used to make book marks, greeting cards etc. I save them all.

They can always be used as coasters or trivets.

Scissor Queen 03-27-2010 05:44 AM

A friend saves those little tiny dog ears you snip off triangles and fills jars with them.

There's also a technique called snippets that uses tiny scraps.

tkhooper 03-27-2010 07:29 AM

Not being all that good with little pieces I save those for stuffing my pillows. They are always going flat lol.

Penny 03-27-2010 07:33 AM

Oh my the fabric can never be too small. Especially if we are talking cotton fabric. It is perfect at smaller sizes to use as stuffing or put it on a window ledge and let nature make a nest out of it.

Sharon321 03-27-2010 08:31 AM

Use those torn skinny strips to tie to gift bags. Really cute.

pocoellie 03-27-2010 08:36 AM

I only throw away the tiny, tiny strips(more or less, just strings). The small pieces I save and will make a crumb quilt, the tiny strips I save, because I have instructions for making fabric beads, which I'll also do someday, when I don't have anything else to do. LOL

Pamela Artman 03-27-2010 09:52 AM

If I can cut an inch strip out of it, I'll save it. I cut all my scraps into squares and strips and I have a box of 1" (as well as other sizes) that I'm going to make tiny log cabin blocks with. My friend made a wall hanging and bordered it with these 1" log cabin blocks and it's so cute!