Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How small is worth keeping? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-small-worth-keeping-t50865.html)

Pamela Artman 06-22-2010 05:07 PM

I keep strips as small as 1" to use in mini log cabin blocks. A friend of mine made some of these and bordered a quilt with them and it's awesome! I keep my scraps all cut into strips and squares of all sizes, sorted by size in plastic boxes and then within each box, I sort by darks and lights. For years I just kept scraps in plastic boxes by color, but not cut at all. Since I cut all my scraps into strips and squares, I've used them so many time for scrappy quilts.

kacie 06-22-2010 05:52 PM

I keep pretty much anything that can be used in a crumb, strip, or other scrappy quilt, down to about an inch in size. When one of the bins is full, I decide if it's something I'm really going to do, and usually the answer is no. Then I box it up and mail it to someone on the board.

gollytwo 06-22-2010 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by ann clare
2"x 2" is my smallest.

mine is 1 1/2" X 1 1/2"
One of my earliest quilts was a postage stamp that I designed. It had 5,620 1 1/2" squares and was tied. It was quite ugly, but a pleasure to sleep under and I loved it.
It's become too worn out to use, so I've put it aside to use as a batt in a double that I make for myself someday.

mom-6 06-22-2010 06:29 PM

I'm saving everything at least 1" or larger. Thinking about sorting somewhat by size and shape eventually.

Joanie2 06-22-2010 06:48 PM

Years ago our guild started collecting 1" squares. They gathered them all in a big garbage bag, which they shook every now and again and when it was full they scooped them up into gallon size zip bags and gave them out as a challenge. The women who completed them called them their 'QUILTS FROM HELL'. I guess because it was lots of work putting the tiny squares together.

oatw13 06-22-2010 06:49 PM

Right now I am working on a project where there are a lot of pieces that measure 1.5" x 1.5" and 1.5" x 2.5".

I don't think I have much use for anything much smaller than that.

Qbird 06-22-2010 07:43 PM

Our Quilt group in Arizona, keeps every teeney tiny unusable scrap, and thread, when we have enough a member has an outlet with the Humane Society and they use this for filler for their dog beds,

cwessel47 06-22-2010 07:54 PM

My limit is 1.5 x 1.5. But it changes sometimes to smaller if I just really love it (.75 x 2) for minis. I throw everything in a box and when it gets full - or I'm bored - or making a mini - I sort through and organize by color. I used to put scraps in zip-locks but now I have boxes. I wish sometimes that I would cut things into strips or squares or whatever - but I don't. I might need that extra 1/8" some day! Another case where I think bigger is better. :)

littlehud 06-24-2010 09:14 AM

2x2 is my smallest. I do use scraps to stuff thing though.

cwessel47 06-24-2010 12:06 PM

I save all of my batting scraps to stuff things!