Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to Start A Local Quilting Club - Not the Usual Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-start-local-quilting-club-not-usual-question-t106263.html)

Krystyna 03-09-2011 07:36 AM

I would love to participate in a local quilting club and I'm not asking about how to get one together. That's the easy part. What I'd like to know is what to do at the first meeting?
What about subsequent meetings?
I'm a quilter, but certainly not advanced and maybe not even intermediate so I'm not the one to be running things!
And, I am a very undiciplined quilter. I make art quilts and lap quilts the way I want to, following no particular design.
How do I get someone to take over leadership - I don't want to run it myself.
Help!

milp04 03-09-2011 07:54 AM

I would suggest several options:

1. Find a quilt guild to attend in your area.
2. Find a guilt guild online. (QB)
3. Find another quilter who is good at leadership and help them
to start a group.
4. Make a list of what you'd like a guilt group to offer so that
you can know what you're looking for.
5. Not be concerned with a local guilt guild or other quilters.

Pam M

Charity Quilter 03-09-2011 08:01 AM

Excellent ideas Pam!!!

Krystyna 03-09-2011 08:12 AM

Thanks, Pam. Would you mind clarifying a few things? (I'm a little dense!)

Do you mean to find another quilt guild in my area instead of starting one? There are two that I know of, but they are a bit of a distance away. The closest one seems to focus on making little frou-frou projects from pricey kits they sell and these just aren't my cup of tea. I haven't been to the other, which is further away.

As far as not being concerned with a local quilt guild or other quilters - I am essentially looking to befriend others who share my interest on a local level. I'd love to share ideas and techniques and enjoy the companionship of other quilters - so frankly I'd rather not forget about it! And that is the primary reason why I'm not terribly interested in an online guild. I have lots of quilting friends, but they've moved away and are scattered all over the country. It would be lovely to connect locally.

SuzyQ 03-09-2011 08:14 AM

Good luck on getting someone to take over leadership LOL. In any group I've ever been it .... if you had an idea you just volunteered <grin> I quickly learned to NEVER have an idea <grin>

Susan

leaha 03-09-2011 08:25 AM

Krystya, I know what you mean by having hands on buddies, there is nothing like it. I would love to get some thing going here too. I started a guild back about 20 years ago, the first meeting, one gal showed up, second meeting she and another gal showed up, 3ed meeting we had 4 of us, it took us a year to get 8 of us to meet regular. But a year and a half later we gave our first quilt show, that little group has grown and they still give a show every year, and now are doing 2 shows a year. the one thing I would sugest is to make a mission statment and maybe post that so others will have an idea of what kind of group you are starting, and don't worry if it is slow to start. Just stick with it!
PM me and I can give you ideas I did, that might help.

sueisallaboutquilts 03-09-2011 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by milp04
I would suggest several options:

1. Find a quilt guild to attend in your area.
2. Find a guilt guild online. (QB)
3. Find another quilter who is good at leadership and help them
to start a group.
4. Make a list of what you'd like a guilt group to offer so that
you can know what you're looking for.
5. Not be concerned with a local guilt guild or other quilters.

Pam M

Hey Pam!! Was number 2 a Freudian slip??? hahahahaha
Cuz, I'm guilty of being on here way too much :mrgreen:

amandasgramma 03-09-2011 08:47 AM

I was contacted or contacted a couple of women on this board that live in my area. We met, then all 3 of us met together. Then we invited more to attend. We decided early on 1) how often to meet, 2) whether we bring food (duh, of course we do!), 3) what we want to do, and 4) what the name of our group would be.

So far we've taught more than quilting!!! All of us have quilted for some time, so we have taught how to make Christmas ornies out of fabric and how to make the folded star potholder. We always bring show and tell stuff. We're into our 3rd or 4th meeting. It's been a blast....meeting more people of like interests and getting out of the house. We've shared patterns, ideas, and encouragement.

I say, go for it -- maybe put an ad in Craigslist or the newspaper or nickle ads....and open up your home to others. Oh, ours has gotten so big we've found a neutral place to have the meetings!!!!

Charity Quilter 03-09-2011 09:35 AM

I started out in the Spring of 2008. By Fall of 2008 I was ready to share my love of charity quilting with others and founded TCCQM. We are now in the Spring of 2011 and I have.....drum roll....please.......4 locals, including myself. Statewide, I have members that send quilts, fabric, batting etc...on a regular basis. Then I have members we never hear from.

Locals meet in my home now....prior to that we met at the local library. As nice as that was because they had all the bells and whistles~~tables/chairs....it was hard on me loading up and unloading all of the supplies, fabric, batting, cutting boards, containers of supplies, sewing machine, ironing board, iron....then after class loading everything back up in the car and unloading at home.....whew....... I'm tired just thinking about it. . . . . .you get the picture.

I went on craigs list looking for volunteers and local papers and word-of-mouth. You have to be persistant......DON'T give up! It is so rewarding in the end. We are not at the end, we are just beginning to bloom and to share our heartfelt love of charity quilting. I'll not stop until the Lord takes me home because it was Him that flooded my heart with compassion for making quilts for children in need/abused/neglected/and-or abandoned or sick!!!

Charity Quilter Dar

Krystyna 03-10-2011 04:11 AM

Dar, I'd love to incorporate charity quilts as one of the projects. A dear friend who moved away had a prayer/crochet group at our parish for years and they made lap blankets for the nursing home. I regularly make baby quilts for the right to life group and incorporate fabrics with Christian motifs. I don't think the ladies at church would be too open to quilting, unfortunately - old habits die hard. That's why I thought of having a general quilting group.
There are a couple of locations that I know would be happy to accommodate us. There is a community center with class rooms and the local library. I know the woman who books activities and she's always looking for something new and interesting. Maybe we could start out with something simple like a strip quilt or simple BOM.
I certainly have a big enough stash to start them off with! I'd like everyone to bring their own machine, but if people are just starting off, they might not have one that is portable. That's another consideration.
Perhaps I can ask for lightweight ones on Freecycle?
As for the leadership issue ... years ago I was involved in running everything under the sun - cub scouts, a community garden, beach clean up, etc. I still chuckle about getting involved with cub scouts. They told me it is "just an hour a week". Hahahaha! Not. The crafts and activities I did were so popular that the parents stayed to do them, too! And, of course, no one helped.