Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to Start a Stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-start-stash-t125790.html)

DebQuilter50 05-26-2011 03:01 AM

I am a new quilter and I keep reading about everyone's "stash". My question is: How do I start my stash? Do I look for fabrics to add to it or does it just develop and grow as you complete projects and have leftovers?

I have bought a couple of fabrics that I like, but it is hard to know how much to buy if you don't have a specific project in mind.

Thanks to all of you friendly people for answering my questions.

earlylace 05-26-2011 03:06 AM

A stash seems to grow over night, he he! When I started quilting 1 1/2 yr ago, I would just pick up a few extra yards each time. I was told a good rule of thumb is, if you really love the fabric get at least 3 yards, (that's enough for a project) if you can't live without it, buy the whole bolt!!!! Add some FQ, and get yardage of tonals (soild colors)

Originally Posted by DebQuilter50
I am a new quilter and I keep reading about everyone's "stash". My question is: How do I start my stash? Do I look for fabrics to add to it or does it just develop and grow as you complete projects and have leftovers?

I have bought a couple of fabrics that I like, but it is hard to know how much to buy if you don't have a specific project in mind.

lindyline 05-26-2011 03:10 AM

Hmmm how to build a stash. It just happens. If you ask my DH, he would swear the fabric breeds in the cupboards. I buy what I really like. Fabric really does talk you know.Some of it even shouts. When that happens, it needs to come home with me.
Sometimes it has a specific reason for coming with me, others just because I like it. Of course, there's also the planned overs from other projects. I always buy too much, so I plan to have "overs". It's a bit like the Pantene ad, it won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

brushandthimble 05-26-2011 03:12 AM

I can tell how I maintain my stash;
each time I buy yardage for a project I round up all requirements, exam: anything requireing 1/2yd or more, I purchase 1yd,
I purchase fabrics on sale, lots of neutrals, off whites 2 to 3 yds. Multiple colors that I may use for borders, I purchase 3 yds, backings anywhere from 5 to 8 or 9 yards. Fat quarters on sale, esp if I have something in mind for down the road I stock up on FQ, remembering to get lights, mediums, and darks.
Hope this helps you to get started. enjoy the process

Vickymomof6 05-26-2011 03:13 AM

Mine has just grown. I do buy 1/2 yard more of every fabric for a quilt pattern and I'm addicted to fat quarters which do built up into a stash.

blueangel 05-26-2011 03:19 AM

It just builds over time. I usually buy 3 yards if I really like it. You just keep adding to if when you see something you like.

ckcowl 05-26-2011 03:34 AM

Both!!!
when i purchase for a specific pattern i always purchase at least 1/2 yard extra of each fabric in case of mess ups- i don't want to be short- so there is extra left over for the stash- all of the (left-overs) from each project goes into stash- and if i see a fabric i just love i buy it...it depends on the fabric how much of it i buy- if i have no plan in mind---if i love it but have no idea what i would ever do with it- i buy a fat quarter- just to have a piece of it...if i love it and can think of a dozen different projects i could use it for i buy as much of it as i can afford at the moment- if it's a basic (blender type) i usually get at least a yard or two...just depends...
but MY STASH GROWS LIKE BUNNIES REPRODUCING!!! it becomes very over populated very quickly when i'm sewing alot...cut one piece of fabric for some blocks and i may have 10 pieces left to add to the stash---it multiplies...FAST

Originally Posted by DebQuilter50

:thumbup:

babyfireo4 05-26-2011 03:56 AM

I started quilting last July. My stash grew quickly and is now on a more incline ;) I got lucky and hit a huge clearance at Joann's where they had gotten in new lines and had tons of 100% cotton (good quality to!) for.... 1.50 a yard! Needless to say I spend quite a bit that day by the time it was done! Also got lucky at a yard sale and now e-bay and connecting threads are gettin me in trouble! I buy what I like and always get things to coordinate, just in case they don't have em next time.... ya know two days later when I stop back in lol

QuiltnNan 05-26-2011 04:49 AM

My stash grows because I buy fabrics that I love. Then I don't want to use them because I like looking at them. :lol: :lol:

Marcia D 05-26-2011 05:15 AM

buy, swap, buy more, swap more, buy even more, swap even more - always be on the lookout at thrift shops, yard sales, etc. Have fun building your stash. Before you know it, it will become an addiction.