Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to start/stop with machine quilting... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-start-stop-machine-quilting-t286201.html)

Carol in WI 02-18-2017 01:24 PM

How to start/stop with machine quilting...

This is probably a dumb question, but it seems that when I try to quilt a top on my domestic machine, the back always looks messy where I start and stop the stitching. If I use the tacking mechanism, it is too obvious, but it seems important to tie off those ends. Is there a method anyone can suggest to make the starts/stops less noticeable? I try to use a matching or neutral bobbin thread when possible. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

suern3 02-18-2017 02:19 PM

Some people recommend ending your stitching by making a few tiny stitches in place, then trim off the ends. Another method which I usually use is to just trim off ends fairly long and then go back and using a needle, pull them to the inside of the quilt. It is not noticeable that way. The method I use is better described on LeahDay.com. She has lots of information on her site related to free motion quilting and recently, walking foot quilting.

Tartan 02-18-2017 02:41 PM

I always leave thread tails so I can bring them to one side, knot them and bury the ends in the quilt sandwich with an easy thread needle. Yes, it is a tedious job but I have no detectable stops when I am done.

Gay 02-18-2017 03:19 PM

I pull the (long) threads up to the top with the first stitch, & holding firmly, sew 2 stitches in reverse and a few more forward, which holds the reverse stitches securely, then trim. Have had no problems with that.

MadQuilter 02-18-2017 03:25 PM

I pull the bobbin thread to the top and make tiny starting stitches. When done, I make tiny stitches, then pull the bobbin thread to the top and trim. Recently I worked with thick thread and I still pulled the bobbin thread up but I left a long tail of each and sewed them in with a needle.

Carol in WI 02-18-2017 04:36 PM

Thank you ladies! I seem to have difficulty pulling that bobbin thread up - or at least it seems tedious to me, so I may try Tartan's method of leaving the long tails and going back to pull them to one side. I appreciate the help....it is always good to know there is advice available here on the board.

jmoore 02-18-2017 05:38 PM

I do the same...I feel better knowing I have tucked my tails.

Mkotch 02-19-2017 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gay (Post 7767333)
I pull the (long) threads up to the top with the first stitch, & holding firmly, sew 2 stitches in reverse and a few more forward, which holds the reverse stitches securely, then trim. Have had no problems with that.

This is what I usually do, too, especially on a quilt I know will be washed a lot (for a child, a person in the hospital, etc.)

quilterpurpledog 02-19-2017 04:16 AM

I also pull the bobbin thread to the top, hold it in place and stitch two stitches in place and move forward. I try to have as many starts and stops in the edges so the binding covers them. However, in the middle of the quilt starts and stops I will tie and bury into the quilt sandwich. It is unfortunate to spoil the look of a finished quilt by being careless when you are nearly finished.

rryder 02-19-2017 05:02 AM

Depending on what the quilt is for I will use just about any of the methods mentioned above. The only one I don't use is leaving the bobbin tail long on the back since I tend to have problems with thread nests when I do that.

If the quilt will will be used and subjected to lots of washing I do a combination of tiny stitches and backtracking to start and stop.

If it is an art piece that will be mounted on a stretcher or panel so the back is completely hidden then I tend to use my machine's thread cutter button which pulls the threads to the back, knots them and trims them short.

If it's a wall piece that will be hung using a sleeve, or hung using some other method that leaves the back exposed, then I bring both threads to the front, knot them and then bury them. I do this as I go-- it doesn't slow me down all that much since I also use that pause to decide where I'm going next.

Rob