Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to stop bleeding red fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-stop-bleeding-red-fabric-t47130.html)

Old man- New quilter 05-27-2010 04:19 PM

Retayne --- I have washed/treated many, many reds with it and never had any problems.

Gerbie 05-27-2010 04:49 PM

quiltflower, you might purchase a bottle of Retayne and try that . It is supposed to hold the dye in the fabric and keep it from bleeding on other fabrics. I have used it with some fabrics and didn't find any color in the water after using retayne, but I haven't put the fabric in a quilt yet and I can't say for sure if the fabric would have bled to begin with, but I really messed up a double wedding ring quilt I made my daughter, when I washed the quilt after I made it, and I had prewashed all of the fabric, before cutting any of it and some of the dark green bled onto the cream and other fabrics in the quilt. I did not know about Retayne at the time. I really can't say if it works or not, but it is worth a try to find out. Gerbie

Prism99 05-27-2010 06:30 PM

I you still have that double wedding ring quilt, Gerbie, you might be able to get the bleeds out with Synthrapol. It can take several washings and doesn't always work, but often does.

catlover 05-27-2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
I am not an expert by any means, but there is a product called Retayne that you add to the wash that is supposed to fix the color. Maybe this would work for you. I got it at my LQS but it is available online also.

Good luck.

Retayne can be purchased from Dharmatrading.com It works well to hold the dye molecules and stops most bleeding in fabrics. I also wash in Synthropol. Again from Dharma.

Cynthia

dizzy 05-27-2010 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Kona is generally well behaved. Try returning it to the store (with the sales slip).
I would consider it defective. If the store won't refund your money, try contacting Kona.

At any rate, don't use it if you can't get it to stop bleeding.

I have come across a very few fabrics that simply won't quit losing dye. Which is why I'm a member of the wash-before-cutting group.

Me to I had a baby quilt for first grandson that i didnt wash the fabric first before I put it on the back of a quilt an it ruined my baby quilt.I wanted to cry.lesson learned.

walen 05-27-2010 08:10 PM

Hello All,

No one has mentioned trying to heat-set the dye in the fabric. When I add ink or dye to a fabric, I iron the area to set the dye. It typically takes about 2-3 minutes of heat applied with an iron set on cotton, no steam. While I only heat-set a small area, it would take a lot of work to heat-set a whole piece of fabric. I would suggest trying this as a last resort. If nothing else works, heat-setting might save this piece of fabric from hitting the trash.

lucyb 05-27-2010 08:37 PM

I saw a show once that said put a small peice of your red in very hot water. Put a small peice of white cloth in with it. Take them both out the next day. If the white cloth is still white after rinsing it will be ok to use. They said the red goes into the water but not necessarly picked up by other cloth.

zz-pd 05-29-2010 05:56 PM

Thank you all for the information. God bless. Penny

Pins n' Ndls 05-29-2010 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by quiltflower
I purchased 6 yards of solid red Kona cotton. I prewashed it and it bled terribly. I continued the washings with a dye catcher, in fact, I think I must have washed it at least six times now and the dye cloth still is coming out bright pink. I need to use this fabric to make a flag quilt for a soldier who is coming home from Iraq later this summer. I tried adding white vinegar to the last two loads, but it is still bleeding. Is there a remedy for this? I apologize if someone has asked this question before...I am sure it has already been discussed.
Thanks a bunch.
Nancy
www.quiltflower.blogspot.com

Try adding salt to the wash water.

cindysew 05-26-2011 01:03 PM

It must be the day for bleeding red fabric. I'm working on a king size red work quilt. I pre washed the fabric until my dye catchers came out white. Today I'm putting on my last border when I sprayed it with a new starch and it started to bleed, I am freeking out. I did a google search and several sites said to add salt. So i'm currently washing it with salt and crossing my fingers that it comes out okay.