Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How true are fabric colors on-line? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-true-fabric-colors-line-t52790.html)

Twisted Quilter 07-04-2010 09:36 AM

I was lurking around several quilting sites which had some really nice fabric, but I'm afraid to order because the color might not be as it appears. I'm sure it's not returnable if it's the wrong color.

What are your experiences with buying fabric on-line.

Luv Quilts and Cats 07-04-2010 09:42 AM

I have not had any problems with fabric order on line. I would say they are pretty true to the colors you see.

littlehud 07-04-2010 09:43 AM

Most are close, but don't expect a perfect match. It depends on you monitor.

Maribeth 07-04-2010 10:00 AM

I know a lot of online shop owners have said it is your monitor that changes the color, but I disagree. I have found that the same fabric looks different when it is viewed from different stores. To see what I mean, do a search for a specific color or line of fabrics at quiltshops.com and look at how the same fabric may appear different when you are looking at all the different thumb prints at the same time. For example, I just looked up Moda Bella solid 30s pink and there must be nine different shades on the screen.

ghostrider 07-04-2010 10:00 AM

It depends entirely upon your monitor and most sites say just that.

rhueluna 07-04-2010 10:05 AM

I have been pretty lucky with the colors. Be sure you look at the ruler at the bottom if they have one as sometimes the print that I thought was small is very large. Its hard to tell how large it is as you don't know how big the sample is. This is mainly with Fabric.com. I love that place and you can find real bargains. Free shipping over $35. I just sit home and wait for it to arrive.

mlaceruby 07-04-2010 10:23 AM

I have been cautions sometimes about a fabric, but have always been happy when it arrives.
and yes it is your monitor and your color settings

DebraK 07-04-2010 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by rhueluna
I have been pretty lucky with the colors. Be sure you look at the ruler at the bottom if they have one as sometimes the print that I thought was small is very large. Its hard to tell how large it is as you don't know how big the sample is. This is mainly with Fabric.com. I love that place and you can find real bargains. Free shipping over $35. I just sit home and wait for it to arrive.

yes, I have more problems with scale than color.

EasyPeezy 07-04-2010 01:57 PM

From my experience, I'd say not always. If you're trying to match colors
from one store to the next you could be in for some surprise. Even within
the same store, you don't know under what light they took the photos.
One of the disadvantages of arm-chair shopping. :-(
That's one of the reasons I prefer to buy (pre-cuts) such as jelly rolls,
charm packs, etc from the same collection. At least I know they will match. :D

sharon b 07-04-2010 02:32 PM

Just like in the store, there is also issues with lighting when the picture is taken . Different monitors show different colors and tones , also :wink: