Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How wide should my sashing be? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-wide-should-my-sashing-t221720.html)

Hensandchickens 05-17-2013 06:41 PM

How wide should my sashing be?

1 Attachment(s)
Is there a rule for sashing width? I am making a baby quilt using a Jelly Roll and the 3 Dudes Quilting method that the Missouri Star Quilt Company has a YouTube video for. Should my sashing be the same as the Jelly Roll strips? Or a little bigger? TIA for your help! :)

Jingle 05-17-2013 07:25 PM

I can't help, your blocks look perfect to me. Wonderful job.

Love the colors too.

amh 05-17-2013 07:36 PM

I don't think there is any rule. Either width, or no sashing at all, would look good. For me personally, I'd pick a width that made the quilt the size I wanted, and that I had enough fabric for.

I love the fabrics you used. This is going to be a very pretty baby quilt.

amh

Tartan 05-17-2013 07:36 PM

My sashing depends on how big I want the quilt to end up or to do a certain design. I think the jelly roll strip size would look nice with your pretty blocks.

thimblebug6000 05-17-2013 08:13 PM

I think it comes down to personal choice and if you want the sashing fabric to really stand out or fade away. In your case the wider green really emphasizes the other greens in the quilt. If you're not wanting it quite so green then maybe audition it with a finished 1" sashing & see how you like that.

Jan in VA 05-17-2013 09:24 PM

The rule is: If it looks good to you, it's right! :) :thumbup:

Jan in VA

quiltsRfun 05-17-2013 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6070496)

Jan in VA

Amen to that!

sarahspins 05-17-2013 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6070496)

Yep, and that's a VERY good rule :)

Personally because I'm lazy and it conveniently gives you more 2 1/2" scraps to put in your scrap pile, I'd do the sashing the same width as the jelly roll fabrics, but if you need to fill out or take in the size a smidge you can use whatever you'd like.. no one is going to take a ruler to your finished quilt and ask why you didn't opt for "_" width sashing.

DOTTYMO 05-17-2013 10:15 PM

The quilt is lovely and colourful. A tip from a non quilter make the stripe width have some relationship to the width of the block. Ie 1/8 or 1/16 or 1/10 etc. it will then look more coordinated on size.

ckcowl 05-18-2013 03:16 AM

you don't want the sashing to (over-power) the quilt blocks- there are no rules---but a fraction of the block size does help it look 'balanced' I generally decide by how much larger I want the quilt to be- then figure from there- if a 12" block I generally use a size that will (go into) a 12" block equally---such as 2", 3", 4", 6"...if a 9" block then 3" or 4 1/2" ; if a 6" block then 2" or 3"...see what I mean?...but just lay out folded fabrics in different widths, step back & see what you like- that's the size to go with.