Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How will I square up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-will-i-square-up-t103715.html)

judyyoungs 02-27-2011 10:03 PM

24 1/2" blocks? I am working on the Women of Influence quit. The center of the block is 12" finished. But then there is a frame consisting of 20 fabric pieces to be added making the finished block, to be conected to others, 24 1/2". My dilemma is deciding how to square up a block that large. I certainly do not have a ruler that large. Anyone have suggestions? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

crafty_linda_b 02-27-2011 10:10 PM

Judy. Can you just fold it in half and measure 12 1/4"? then fold it again the other way and do the same. Or go to a home improvement store and see if they have a piece of plexiglass in that size? Or have someone cut it for you. Or a glass shop might cut it for you. If you don't need to see the pattern underneath you could always cut a piece of foam board that size and use it. They sell it at the $ store. Stick some sandpaper dots on the bottom of it and it won't slip around then. I do that with my rulers to keep them from slipping.
Happy Stitchin' Linda B.

Originally Posted by judyyoungs
24 1/2" blocks? I am working on the Women of Influence quit. The center of the block is 12" finished. But then there is a frame consisting of 20 fabric pieces to be added making the finished block, to be conected to others, 24 1/2". My dilemma is deciding how to square up a block that large. I certainly do not have a ruler that large. Anyone have suggestions? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Holice 02-27-2011 10:13 PM

is your rotary cutting mat large enough to square it up.

PegD 02-28-2011 01:40 AM

Someone said before to put 2 rulers next to each other.

k3n 02-28-2011 01:48 AM

Doesn't your mat have 45 deg lines that cross? Then you can line the corners of the block up with the lines. My largest square is only 6 1/2" so all my blocks bigger than that are squared up this way...

ckcowl 02-28-2011 02:18 AM

do you have a 6"x24" ruler? that would work. or you line up two edges with the lines of the cutting mat, carefully shave one edge, turn line up, carefully shave next edge continue til you have all 4 sides trimmed. people always are saying to not use your grid on the cutting mat...you should not use it for measuring but it is great for straight lines. :thumbup:

k3n 02-28-2011 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
do you have a 6"x24" ruler? that would work. or you line up two edges with the lines of the cutting mat, carefully shave one edge, turn line up, carefully shave next edge continue til you have all 4 sides trimmed. people always are saying to not use your grid on the cutting mat...you should not use it for measuring but it is great for straight lines. :thumbup:

If you cross check your rulers and mats (as I have done) for consistency, it's fine to use them to measure. :D

sewcrafty 02-28-2011 03:22 AM

Do you have any of that clear template plastic? I would tape together and then mark a centering dot. That way you could see the block center.

Calzo 02-28-2011 06:18 AM

I have a 17.5 inch square template which is the largest I've ever seen.

I line up 2 templates for larger blocks.

judyyoungs 02-28-2011 07:06 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions. My mat is long enough but is not 24" deep. I think I will check with our glass cutter here to see if I can get a piece of plexiglass cut, if he doesn't my arm to do it. I think several of your suggestions might work. I really appreciate your help.