Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How would you describe an I Spy Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-you-describe-i-spy-quilt-t276287.html)

phranny 03-02-2016 07:58 AM

How would you describe an I Spy Quilt?

I am in the process of making an I Spy quilt as part of a fund raiser for an special needs child in our community. I would like to include a little description on how to "use" the quilt but am not sure what to put on the card. This is the first time I have made one, I don't have grands yet, so I'm not sure how to describe it. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to word the accompanying instructions?

Jeanne S 03-02-2016 08:17 AM

To me, I Spy quilts can be made/used in two ways. The first is a simple take off from the children's game "I spy with my little eye..." Game: you name an item pictured in the quilt and the child searches to find it. Teaches the child colors and nouns. The second is when an I Spy quilt is made with 2 of each item, and the child finds a named item and the second one that matches it.

lynnie 03-02-2016 08:58 AM

Jeanne said it all

Kitsie 03-02-2016 09:19 AM

Thanks, Jeanne S! My cousin is coming for a week and we will be making I Spy's. Have never though of using matching squares!

phranny 03-02-2016 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7482056)
To me, I Spy quilts can be made/used in two ways. The first is a simple take off from the children's game "I spy with my little eye..." Game: you name an item pictured in the quilt and the child searches to find it. Teaches the child colors and nouns. The second is when an I Spy quilt is made with 2 of each item, and the child finds a named item and the second one that matches it.

Thank you, Jeanne! The top is finished, but I didn't think of the second version. Next time I will do the matching part as well. :o

Boston1954 03-02-2016 09:41 AM

To play with someone who says "find me a flower. Where is the puppy? Do you see anything blue?" I also put a few squares that are repeats so the person can ask "Do you see two the same?"

phranny 03-02-2016 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 7482138)
To play with someone who says "find me a flower. Where is the puppy? Do you see anything blue?" I also put a few squares that are repeats so the person can ask "Do you see two the same?"

Thank you, Boston. More good ideas :thumbup:

tessagin 03-02-2016 11:42 AM

I also wondered but didn't ask about the "I Spy" quilts. Gives me an idea for my nephews little ones.

Monroe 03-02-2016 03:42 PM

They are great for counting, teaching colors- naming items- matching- etc. Also great for speech therapy- more fun than flash cards! These are my favorite type of quilts to make for kids.

cjsews 03-02-2016 03:52 PM

I would not include directions. Maybe just put on the label " I spy with my little eye ". Whoever gets the quilt will know what to do