Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How would you do this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-you-do-t222979.html)

Lee in Richmond 06-04-2013 11:19 AM

How would you do this?

I bought the two largish panels of The Very Hungry Caterpillar (two life phases) and want somehow to focus them in a baby quilt with something suggesting the progression from one phase to the next. I was thinking to put the caterpillar at the bottom left and the butterfly top right and somehow make a wandering dotted line between them. The colors are bright primary ones, and I am also at a loss as to how to design the rest of the quilt front. Maybe white frames around the panels and some wandering geese or half square triangles or... All I have found looking for 'panel quilt' is a single panel.

The book this comes from is apparently 40+ years old, but I can photograph the panels if that would help you imagine.

Lee in Richmond 06-04-2013 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond (Post 6103858)
I bought the two largish panels of The Very Hungry Caterpillar (two life phases) and want somehow to focus them in a baby quilt with something suggesting the progression from one phase to the next. I was thinking to put the caterpillar at the bottom left and the butterfly top right and somehow make a wandering dotted line between them. The colors are bright primary ones, and I am also at a loss as to how to design the rest of the quilt front. Maybe white frames around the panels and some wandering geese or half square triangles or... All I have found looking for 'panel quilt' is a single panel.

The book this comes from is apparently 40+ years old, but I can photograph the panels if that would help you imagine.

Think I need to upload a picture.

sewmary 06-04-2013 12:43 PM

I made this quilt for my daughter's preschool. I had the panel with the caterpillar but I think it was larger than yours. It had some of the food around the caterpillar. I cut it apart so the food was in strips and sewed them together so that they ran across the quilt. Had co-ordinating fabric also that I used. Don't remember exactly cause it has been a while.

Are you lookig for a design of this quilt? Search on hungry caterpillar quilts in Google and you will see some.

Your idea sounds just fine. Have confidence in yourself and go for it.

SherriB 06-04-2013 12:51 PM

I made a quilt with Hungry Caterpillar fabric for my grandchildren a couple years ago. If you can find it, there are some really cute coordinating fabrics that go with those panels. I don't have a pic of the quilt I made, but here is link to one just like it. The pattern was in a magazine.

Link didn't work. Will try again.

SherriB 06-04-2013 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of a quilt like I made.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]417153[/ATTACH]

omacookie 06-04-2013 01:00 PM

Both are awesome. Hugs

Jingle 06-04-2013 01:40 PM

Lee those squares are very cute.

hopetoquilt 06-04-2013 05:24 PM

Why not do some winding flying geese from one stage to the next, kinda like an arrow.

Lee in Richmond 06-05-2013 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt (Post 6104392)
Why not do some winding flying geese from one stage to the next, kinda like an arrow.

That's an idea I will consider. I wanted a winding 'path' and maybe I will have to do an applique tree branch to do that. Do you think brown bias tape would work? I have never worked with curves on a quilt top.

Lee in Richmond 06-05-2013 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB (Post 6103983)
Here is a pic of a quilt like I made.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]417153[/ATTACH]

I bought some of the multi-dot that is the first sash. Otherwise will use bright primary solids I think.