Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How would you quilt this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-you-quilt-t284468.html)

sewgranny1 12-14-2016 12:23 PM

How would you quilt this?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone! I'm working on a quilt for my SIL and I need your opinions. I am to the point where I am ready to sandwich & quilt. I used a free bargello from Northcott pattern called "Serenity Bargello". Finished size will be 47.5 by 62. The only quilting I have ever done on my sewing machine is stitch-in-the-ditch. That's what I would like to do but am worried it will take away from the bargello pattern. Everyone here is always so helpful. I should also tell you my SIL is an interior decorator who paints but she doesn't sew.

Thank you all in advance.

If I did this correctly pictures should be attached--bargello is front side and the other one is the back.

Gay 12-14-2016 12:54 PM

I don't think anything will 'take away' from this lovely quilt. Perhaps a lightly quilted edge to edge design, and a nice scroll type one round the border . However if you feel more comfortable doing sid it will still look beautiful. Todays decorators seem to think less is more - just a thought.

QuiltnNan 12-14-2016 12:55 PM

i would follow the curved lines

nativetexan 12-14-2016 02:18 PM

look up images of them quilted. you will see how some are following each color piece all the way up and then back down. can be done with regular stitching. just will have to move the quilt when you reach the top of each color. Looks great!!!

Tartan 12-14-2016 02:26 PM

Beautiful Bargello! If you SITD make sure to start in the middle and work out. The only problem you will have is when you SITD in the opposite direction, you can get little pleats when lines cross each other.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 12-14-2016 03:53 PM

First response "oh that's a good looking quilt" 2nd - lucky SIL 3rd - well chosen fabrics. Can't help with the quilting- sorry. Show us a pic of what you decide.

sushi 12-14-2016 04:02 PM

I usually follow the curve when I quilt a bargello, but I agree with the others than just about anything will work. Your color contrasts are strong and will compete successfully with the quilting. I LOVE your quilt!!!

Becky's Crafts 12-14-2016 04:10 PM

Beautiful quilt!!! You've done a wonderful job on it! Not sure this would work on that one or not, but I did an all over scroll design on my Christmas Bargello Table Runner. Mine came out pretty nice. I'm just starting to get into more FMQ designs, so not sure if this helps or not.

jmoore 12-15-2016 04:38 AM

What a great choice of fabrics for you SIL's bargello...it's beautiful. I like the all over scroll design suggestion...

illinois 12-15-2016 04:48 AM

I did that one. It's been awhile but I think I did stitch in the ditch since I didn't want to take away from the directions of the piecing. By the way, did you end up with a curve in the piece when completed? I followed the directions as they were online at the time--said to always begin at the same end when stitching and I ended up with a nice curve toward the end. I didn't use the entire "foundation" but still have that extra with the curve in it to figure out how to use that.

Love your colors--nice job!