Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How's the time to practice what I preach! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hows-time-practice-what-i-preach-t247510.html)

quiltmom04 05-28-2014 05:10 AM

How's the time to practice what I preach!

Every time some one asks how to handle making a quilt for someone with very specific preferences and ideas, and are perhaps NOT a quilter with any idea how fabrics will work together, specifically in choosing scale and value, I am ready to weigh in with an opinion on how to keep control of the situation. Now it's MY turn! I asked a friend of mine if her son and soon-to-be DIL would like a quilt, ( so I don't give them something they really don't think they'd use). Now it's turned into a potential shopping trip for fabrics. I'm thinking (trying to follow my own advise) that I will pull pictures of several styles of quilts (modern, scrappy, hunters star) and she can choose the style, but probably not the specific pattern. Then I'm thinking that if she wants to choose fabric, I will purchase 1/4 yards or fat quarters of what she likes and use them as a guide in making the quilt. I figure that way, I can pull together elements she likes, without the constraint of someone who may not be able to see what works together and whose specific input may produce a quilt that also doesn't work. (Then again, I may just be getting ahead of myself and anticipating problems that may not occur!) Any thoughts?

Belfrybat 05-28-2014 05:16 AM

I'm reading your post that you are making this as a gift, not to sell to the person. That being said, if it were me, I'd ask if she likes traditional or contemporary designs and her preferred colour scheme. No pictures, no specific fabric choices. If you show pictures, she will expect you to make the exact one she chooses -- which might be OK with you, or not. Same with colour swatches -- she'll expect you to use exactly what she chooses. Keep it simple by going with general guidelines. The other plus of this is the quilt ends up being a surprise.

Quiltngolfer 05-28-2014 05:16 AM

It sounds like you've got it all figured out. Your way will make you both happy. My GS wants a quilt. He picked a pattern out of some I have bought to make. He asked for blues. That still allows me to make a quilt that I will like, and make him happy too. I can't wait to get started on it. I chose a selection of ocean blue batiks, and the pattern he chose is Labyrinth.

LynnVT 05-28-2014 05:17 AM

I think you are on the right track. I recently made a baby quilt for a nonquilting friend's great grandbaby, and I took her to a shop where I knew they had the modern fabrics she wanted. I pulled some that seemed right, and she found a few she liked. I sketched out a design for her to get the idea, and put it together. Later, when we shopped for backing, I met her at another quilt shop which has a HUGE selection. So I got there first and pulled out several possibilities, laying them out on a cutting table beside the finished top. That way she had a manageable number to choose from. She made a good choice and everyone was happy with the quilt.

Geri B 05-28-2014 05:34 AM

Sounds like you have been analyzing this very thoroughly....
My story: in recent past....two couples, who were both family....were planning weddings and I "thought" of making wedding quilts...did not confer with either about idea, was going to wing it...anyway, life got in the way,,gave them both envelopes at weddings...my usual gift...and within 6 months of each "I DO", they were " I want out"......

ManiacQuilter2 05-28-2014 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer (Post 6734490)
It sounds like you've got it all figured out. Your way will make you both happy. My GS wants a quilt. He picked a pattern out of some I have bought to make. He asked for blues. That still allows me to make a quilt that I will like, and make him happy too. I can't wait to get started on it. I chose a selection of ocean blue batiks, and the pattern he chose is Labyrinth.

Do you have EQ to show the colors and design?? Can you take her with you to make a trip the LQS?? It is not an easy thing to make something for someone who have very specific preferences. Been there, done that. Wishing you the best of luck !!

quiltmom04 05-28-2014 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6734539)
Do you have EQ to show the colors and design?? Can you take her with you to make a trip the LQS?? It is not an easy thing to make something for someone who have very specific preferences. Been there, done that. Wishing you the best of luck !!

I do have EQ - hadn't thought of that! Thanks !