Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HP Printer problem... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hp-printer-problem-t119602.html)

Love2Craft 04-29-2011 04:14 AM

I had the used cartridge refilled and its been working fine...but this morning I get an error message saying that "previously used Genuine cartridge has been installed" Then it wants me to load paper (already in there) and print the alignment page (which I did) but I can't get any further. Obviously, they only want you to use their brand cartridge!!! is there anyway to bypass this? I can't even scan. Thanks for any help :-(

AlwaysQuilting 04-29-2011 04:19 AM

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe even unplug it for a second.
My BFF never buys just ink. She buys a whole new printer each time her ink runs dry because printer prices have become so inexpensive for the simpler versions.

Ramona Byrd 04-29-2011 04:21 AM

Did you try taking it out and closing the top and then putting it back in? Wipe the bottom of it (the ink cartridge) with a clean paper first.

You can get cheap printer ink online. But do be careful when buying online, last time I did I had some identity theft, and had only bought from 2 places in some months before that.

I had a couple of cartridges refilled but they didn't seem to last as long as the more expensive ones, so now I don't bother with it, the ones from Staples lasts a long time with me.

And, just for the record, no way will I want another HP. Lost my owner's manual and online they wanted me to buy one. I think that is an excellent way to run customers away. Still can't print out what is laid on the window of it. Still have an older printer in the closet which works nicely, will enlarge or reduce anything very easily. I'll have to use this one till it dies, since it was a gift from a loving GD.
When I went online to get clarification on my new sewing machine, I could download it for free, so I will buy another Brother for a DGD.

frauhahn 04-29-2011 04:21 AM

I really believe that it's best to use original cartridges-I tried to save money by buying refilled ones, and the quality went way down, and they ran out of ink a lot faster (and the company I bought from advertises nationally). Once I went back to HP cartridges, the printer stopped misbehaving.

MZStitch 04-29-2011 04:29 AM

I too had problem with my HP printer when I tried to save money and buy the Office Max brand. In the long run it didn't save me any money as I ended up tossing two of them that were partially full. I hear the new Kodak printers are much cheaper to buy ink for, so when it is time for a new printer, I will be taking the price of ink cartridges into consideration big time.

irishrose 04-29-2011 07:10 AM

My black refills from Walgreen's work well and last a long time. My color cartridges won't work refilled, but Walgreen's doesn't charge for trying and tests them before retutning them.

I would disconnect the misbehaving printer and reconnect it.

Rose Marie 04-29-2011 07:47 AM

My HP works fine with refills. It better because the cartridges are small and run out very quickly.
Next time I buy it will be a printer that dosnt use ink so fast.
I will say it prints beutiful pictures but it is expensive so dont print many.

quilter1943 04-29-2011 08:11 AM

I have mine refilled at Walgreens which they will do as long as the magnetic strips on the cartridges are still good. Never have a problem with them. The printer/copier/scanner needs to be turned off and on sometimes, then it's fine. Might be a problem in your set up as well, so check that.

Just Me... 04-29-2011 08:14 AM

I'll take her leftovers! ROFL

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe even unplug it for a second.
My BFF never buys just ink. She buys a whole new printer each time her ink runs dry because printer prices have become so inexpensive for the simpler versions.

amma 04-29-2011 09:18 AM

My HP printer didn't like the refills either... I have to buy new cartridges.

Try turning it off, reboot your computer and then try printing again :D:D:D