Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HST Measurement? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hst-measurement-t213048.html)

doodledo 02-05-2013 11:59 AM

HST Measurement?

I have a pattern that calls for Triangles on a Roll 3" finished. Is it worth buying this paper? If not what would I cut my material out to make them this way: mark a center line, sew 1/4 from line on each side and cut down the line.It says the blocks will be 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 with seams. What would I cut them out to be or should I just by the paper and be be done with it?
On another note. It says to cut the material WOF. So I placed the selvages together and I will cut from fold up to selvages, correct? Reason being, the material isnt long enough and its the material that it says you can use. I am running into about 1/2" of the selvage that is a totally different color in order to get my 22" cut.

Thanks

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-05-2013 12:04 PM

I always cut squares 1 inch larger than the finished HST I want to make. I have used the paper rolls and had good luck with them, but don't think I would buy them again. The other way works fine for me.

Many fabrics are no longer actually 44 inches wide so you can't get 2 cuts of 22 inches from them, but many patterns still assume they are 44.

soccertxi 02-05-2013 02:17 PM

here is a way to do them w/o the papers:

http://www.quilterscache.com/H/howtospeedpiecehsts.html The papers are good if you need a SLEW of the same colors. I always seem to need scrappy..or just a few in that size/color. There is a computer program called Triangulations that you can print out any size papers you need. I bought packages of a couple diff sizes a LONG time ago. I still have most of them... You can also draw out on a piece of paper with a ruler what you need. I like to size my HST a bit larger than needed and trim them. It takes a bit more work, but in the end I get a better quilt.

Jan in VA 02-05-2013 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You have more than one tutorial right here on this board; in fact here's one I just posted on another thread a couple days ago.

It uses two layers of fabric, any size you want....if you need 18 HSTs, right onto the fabric draw a grid of NINE squares 1" larger than the desired HST finished size (you get 2 HST from each square). In your case, the two fabrics would need to be at least 14" square.

Jan in VA

NJ Quilter 02-05-2013 07:21 PM

I'm another that goes one inch from finished size on hst's. No matter how accurately I think I cut or sew, I always have issues. The 'correct' measurement is 7/8" added to the finished size of your hst. I prefer to have that 1/8" to play with and then square up using the 45 deg. line on my ruler. And if you're doing lots of them (I seem to love patterns with hst's) invest in a rotating cutting mat. OMG what a lifesaver! I've used 'Thangles' and they are ok for me, but I prefer my method. I've seen Jan's method in some patten books but have not been brave enough to tackle that. But it looks like it would be far less wasteful. But I'm scared!

ewecansew 02-05-2013 08:27 PM

I use `triangles on a roll` or `triangle paper` all the time. No squaring up, no waste, except the paper. Quick and easy. Can you tell that I love them!!

QuiltnLady1 02-05-2013 10:01 PM

I too prefer to add an inch to the finished size (that would mean you cut your squares 4" to get a 3" finished HST). I have done the triangle paper thing, but I hate the price. Someone here posted a link one time to pages of triangle paper that you can print and that is a help.

Now, on my soap box, as has been mentioned -- you cannot count on fabric being 44" (something along the same lines as a 2x4 not measuring 2"x4"). When I calculate fabric I have found that 40" is a good bet -- I have seen some salvages over 1" deep and some fabric when I prewash it shrinks a bit too.

bigsister63 02-06-2013 06:26 AM

I cut and make my own HST. I think that the paper is a waste of money (buy more fabric). Also What do you do if you need a HST size and do not have that size paper.And no you can not copy the paper since it will copy a bit samller thus making your HST off(I know this because our quilt group tied to copy them. ) I saw a method that lets you make HSTusing a similiar method on the fabric itself. Cut strip size you need HST to be and mark fabric into needed squares and then mark diagnols (sort of looks like zigzag like on the paper) and sew on either side and cut. I have found it easier and more exact to just cut you squares block size + 7/8" or 1" bigger, mark diagonal, sew on either side of line and cut on line. There is a sopecial ruler that lets you mark the lines. Quick and easy! I prefer to make mine this way since it is important to have HST exact.

Holice 02-06-2013 06:54 AM

There is a cutting chart at this sitehttp://blog.caronmosey.com/2011/06/sewing-half-square-triangles.html

Jan in VA 02-06-2013 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 5841441)
..... I've seen Jan's method in some patten books but have not been brave enough to tackle that. But it looks like it would be far less wasteful. But I'm scared!

I encourage you to give it a try using to pieces of colored paper, then. No real waste, lots of learning, easy peasy!

I actually use this technique in my beginning quilting classes and then have the students trade HST with each other. I get in on the trade, too, and have made (and seen) some wonderful quilts made with these beginning HST.:) Go on, try it!!

Jan in VA