Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HST question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hst-question-t294794.html)

sewingsuz 02-14-2018 05:51 PM

HST question

I know that if I want a 3 1/2 square I should cut it 7/8 more or round up to 1" more. However i made a test square and cut 2 4" squares and drew a line diagonal and sewed 1/4 from the line on each side of line and cut in the middle and pressed and I got a 3 and 5/8 sq. Is that to little to sq up. or should I go for the 4 in square to start with? Another thing I wand to know is there a quick way to make a 4 patch. I sewed two 2'' inch strips together and then sub cut in 2 " and sewed two back together to get a 3 1/2 sq 4 patch. Thanks for your help. When you read the book and sit down to make test blocks, it is entirely different. The book is telling me to do bias strips for the HST and I don't like the instructions so I am doing it the draw a line way.

topper1 02-14-2018 06:08 PM

Missouri quilt company on you tube..Jenny Doan...has Easy ways to do things

pokeygirl 02-14-2018 06:09 PM

Hi, Sewing Suz....I'm also in Arizona. The only way I will make my HST is by using the Easy Angle ruler. You cut your strips the size that you want your HST to be. No guess work and they come out perfect. Sew....if I want a 3 12 inch HST, I cut a 3 1/2 inch strip and use the ruler and sew them together. Easy peasy!

Teen 02-14-2018 06:12 PM

3 5/8 is still larger than your needed size and can still square it up. Just take a little from one side, flip and square to size needed. If you are still testing, the rests of your blocks you can cut a little bigger to give you more wiggle room. And, I make 4P the same way but others might pipe in with a different technique.

I always substitute easier sewing techniques than offered in patterns. That's the quilter is us!

EasyPeezy 02-14-2018 06:20 PM

Cutting 4" square should be enough but it depends on how you sew
and what type of thread you use. If the thread is thick it will take
more space in the seam allowance. If you sew right on the line
or next to the line it makes a difference. The only way to find out
is to press and trim. If you find you can't trim to 3.5" square
then cut the square bigger or adjust your seam allowance a little.
You are right on track for the 4 patch. That's the way I know to
make quick 4 patches. If you have lots of 4 patches to make
in the same fabric, you just cut two long strips, sew then sub-cut.

GingerK 02-14-2018 06:24 PM

If your result is 3 5/8, that is great because you have lots of room to square it up (down?) to 3 1/2. Just remember to PRESS not IRON when you are pressing them.

quiltingshorttimer 02-14-2018 06:50 PM

sounds like you have this figured out already. But I just a couple of weeks ago (where???) saw a tute that said to be sure to press open each seamed "corner" of those HST and then to open and make sure to use the iron point to press on the straight of grain. Said to Not use the side of the iron to open the seam and press (what I'd been doing) cause it's on the bias and can distort the seam with a curve instead. Makes perfect sense and works, too!

Jan in VA 02-14-2018 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use this technique. (graphic is my own) My trim is often just a few threads on each side, like 1/16 of an inch.

Jan in VA

sewingsuz 02-14-2018 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by pokeygirl (Post 8003539)
Hi, Sewing Suz....I'm also in Arizona. The only way I will make my HST is by using the Easy Angle ruler. You cut your strips the size that you want your HST to be. No guess work and they come out perfect. Sew....if I want a 3 12 inch HST, I cut a 3 1/2 inch strip and use the ruler and sew them together. Easy peasy!

Thank you, I have that ruler and watched video how to use it.

sewingsuz 02-14-2018 08:12 PM

Thanks to all for your help!