Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Humble pie (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/humble-pie-t155599.html)

tjradj 09-24-2011 07:25 PM

I've "only" been quilting for ten years or so, but have always been in the "cotton" for batting generation. I always "looked down" at using poly batting as it reminded me of cheap comforters.
Until this week.
I took in a quilt to quilt for a senior lady who had made a lovely log cabin pattern. I cringed when she showed me the precious backing material - only an inch wider and longer than the quilt top.
Then she showed me the batting. Medium loft poly. Arg. I tried not to let my bias show, but I'm not sure if I was successful.
Well, Humble pie time. It quilted up beautifully. The quilting she chose was not dense - about 3"apart at the widest, and the SITD work went well.
I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't pucker at all on the backing. Since the backing fabric was rather plain, it would have really shown if it puckered.
So, she was happy, and I learned to relax my opinion a little.
For me, I still love the feel and warmth of cotton. But if a customer asks for poly, I won't necessarily try to change her mind.

suebee 09-24-2011 07:30 PM

Thats great. I too am a "W&N" fan...however.... I have ordered some Hobbs Poly Down to try. Ive seen so many quilts here where they have used the Hobbs Poly Down and they are awesome. Cant wait till I get it in, I will try it on one of my Christmas quilts (for me), LOL. thanks for sharing your experience.

Originally Posted by tjradj
I've "only" been quilting for ten years or so, but have always been in the "cotton" for batting generation. I always "looked down" at using poly batting as it reminded me of cheap comforters.
Until this week.
I took in a quilt to quilt for a senior lady who had made a lovely log cabin pattern. I cringed when she showed me the precious backing material - only an inch wider and longer than the quilt top.
Then she showed me the batting. Medium loft poly. Arg. I tried not to let my bias show, but I'm not sure if I was successful.
Well, Humble pie time. It quilted up beautifully. The quilting she chose was not dense - about 3"apart at the widest, and the SITD work went well.
I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't pucker at all on the backing. Since the backing fabric was rather plain, it would have really shown if it puckered.
So, she was happy, and I learned to relax my opinion a little.
For me, I still love the feel and warmth of cotton. But if a customer asks for poly, I won't necessarily try to change her mind.

BellaBoo 09-24-2011 07:37 PM

One of my favorite battings is Fairfield Traditional poly batting. It's not fluffy or too thin. It gives the quilt body and machine quilting shows up great. I use silk or wool batting for dense machine quilting.

suebee 09-24-2011 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
One of my favorite battings is Fairfield Traditional poly batting. It's not fluffy or too thin. It gives the quilt body and machine quilting shows up great. I use silk or wool batting for dense machine quilting.

I am definitely bookmarking this subject. I really would like to try different types of batting. this is good to know. THANKS

Painiacs 09-24-2011 09:59 PM

Nice to know!

alikat110 09-24-2011 10:21 PM

Glad it worked out for both of you!!!

scowlkat 09-24-2011 11:08 PM

And I prefer poly batting. I find W&N is too heavy for me.

MacThayer 09-24-2011 11:45 PM

I've never tried poly batting, but have heard that it doesn't "breathe" well, and can be too hot, or make one sweat. Is there any truth to this, or is this just another one of those "old wife's tales"? Inquiring minds want to know!

redmadder 09-25-2011 02:43 AM

I bought Fairfield batting for years then Walmart stopped carrying it. Made dozens of quilts, most are still in use and holding up beautifully. It gets cold in Nevada at night, ask me how I know.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-25-2011 04:20 AM

I had Charisma quilt a top for me and she used Hobbs Poly Down- I love it!!!
So that's got me changing my thinking- I have always used cotton only.