Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Humility block...not really (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/humility-block-not-really-t217093.html)

collady 03-23-2013 07:06 AM

Humility block...not really

I was just finishing up on the fmq on a wall hanging that I had made from a panel when I discovered that the lower left block was upside down! As the panel was a landscape scene that I had cut and framed each section with attic windows and then bordered, I knew that I couldn't finish and hang it like it was as I would always see that upside down block. After spending most of the morning yesterday removing the quilting stitches from the block, and the ditch stitching from all the seam lines, I carefully hand stitched the block back inside the frames and then re-quilted the entire corner. I spend about 6 hours fixing a mistake that I shouldn't have made if I had been more careful with the piecing. Advice to everyone...look carefully at your blocks as you put them together, it saves time and frustration! LOL!

dunster 03-23-2013 07:17 AM

We've all made that mistake. Glad you got it fixed. I usually lay the quilt top out on the floor or tacked to the design wall for a day before quilting it, just so I can (hopefully) spot any mistakes before they're much harder to fix. And sometimes... well, they just have to stay that way.:o

Tartan 03-23-2013 07:54 AM

It really helps to take a picture too. Sorry you had to frog stitch.

PaperPrincess 03-23-2013 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5947994)
It really helps to take a picture too. Sorry you had to frog stitch.

I really agree with Tartan on the photo suggestion. For some reason, mistakes really jump out in a photo, probably because you can more easily see the entire quilt as a whole.

Luv Quilts and Cats 03-23-2013 08:22 AM

Oh, sorry you had to go to all this trouble. I am glad though that you fixed it, because it would have bothered you to know end if you had not. Sometimes the extra effort is just worth it.

ube quilting 03-23-2013 11:57 AM

The hurry rule at work here. The closer I get to the finish the more anxious I am to see the finished piece and caution goes out the window.

TAKE A SECOND LOOK!
peace

jemma 03-23-2013 06:57 PM

hence the duck swimming in the sky--i hve not your patience

sweetana3 03-24-2013 03:48 AM

I guess I am unusual in that it normally does not bother me in the least. In fact, it usually makes me laugh at myself.

If I catch the mistake early, I will take out some stitching but I have one that got to quilting with a crazy block and I left it.

nycquilter 03-24-2013 05:00 AM

been there, done that. In fact, I finished the quilt, photographed it, gifted it. Then, I looked again at the photo and BOOM! there was a mistake. and sadly, I did this twice! The second time was on a retreat and NO ONE noticed either! ah well, there but for the grace of god...

garysgal 03-24-2013 03:55 PM

Unless the mistake is glaring, don't worry. The Amish purposely make one mistake on every quilt because they say that only God is perfect!