Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Hunt for Opaque White Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hunt-opaque-white-fabric-t302746.html)

Watson 02-03-2019 12:37 PM

The Hunt for Opaque White Fabric

I need white. Plain white in a good, solid cotton that you can't see every thread through.

Went to my local chain store here in Canada. $18.00 a metre. (...I get 20% off because I bought a membership for $20.00, but that's still no savings yet.) The LQS is the same price. For plain white cotton.
You can get a lighter weight for $14.00/m but then you can see every seam allowance that you missed straight through it.
Remember to add 13% tax.

I walked out without getting it.

Next time I get to the US, I'm buying 8 yards of Kona white with a 50% off coupon, but that doesn't help me right now.

Watson...just frustrated

RJLinkletter 02-03-2019 01:05 PM

I’m having the same problem here in the UK at the moment. I know fabric is more expensive over here and I can deal with this when it is pretty and in nice colours etc. But to pay it for plain white... and white that is seemingly such poor quality?! It just frustrates me. I bought a couple of yards of white last time I did a USA order but I used it all in one quilt - knew I should have bought more...

PamelaOry 02-03-2019 01:13 PM

How much is the shipping from MSQC? Or maybe fat quarter shop? I wish I could help, would it be any better to have someone in the states buy it and send it?

Patricia Drew 02-03-2019 01:37 PM

Hi Watson,

Sew Sisters have Kona solids at $12.99 Can. per meter. Maybe you can order a small quantity for your present project, to tide you over until you can get to the U.S.

I've ordered from them many times, and have always been satisfied. Shipping is reasonable. Also they always have an interesting selection in their Clearance section at $8.99 Can.

Tartan 02-03-2019 01:44 PM

I hate when you are fired up to do some sewing and you can’t! Sure you can work on something else but that isn’t what you really want to be doing.:thumbdown:

Onebyone 02-03-2019 02:46 PM

I buy solid color fabric by the bolt at Marshall's Dry Goods. It's Dream Cotton. I don't know if shipping out of US would make it too expensive but I pay less then $2.50 a yard by the bolt. Usually 15 -25 yard bolts. I cannot tell any difference of DreamCotton from Moda Bella.

Shoofly1 02-03-2019 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8204936)
I buy solid color fabric by the bolt at Marshall's Dry Goods. It's Dream Cotton. I don't know if shipping out of US would make it too expensive but I pay less then $2.50 a yard by the bolt. Usually 15 -25 yard bolts. I cannot tell any difference of DreamCotton from Moda Bella.

Thinking outside the box, what about buying white cotton sheets? How does that compare with fabric shops?

QuiltE 02-03-2019 03:09 PM

Whites are the hardest to find in a good heavy weight, so that you don't have to worry about see-thru!

Do you need totally white ... or a WOW?
Sometimes I have had better luck in getting "solid" by using a WOW.

Another place for you to check .... good ol' Len's!

donna13350 02-03-2019 03:13 PM

This is Marshall's shipping quotes for Canada
[h=4]Canada Shipping by Yardage[/h]

45” Flat Cotton Shipping Prices

• Up to 10 yards = $24.95
  • 11- 28 yards = $47.75
  • 29- 48 yards = $62.35

60” -118” will be calculated by weight Fed Ex or USPS, whichever is cheaper

Barb in Louisiana 02-03-2019 03:17 PM

Thank you Onebyone for posting this. I need a white that isn't see-through. I am going to check out prices today.