Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HURRAYYY!! Our voice has been heard! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hurrayyy-our-voice-has-been-heard-t112085.html)

bobbie1 03-31-2011 03:02 PM

Our Walmart in Colonial Heights, VA took bolts of fabric out of store. They remodeled and brought in pre-packaged fabric. I totally refuse to buy that. It seems to me that by giving in and buying what they think we need..ie..prepackaged...we are in essence saying "we forgive you" for taking away something that gives us pleasure and buy what you want us to buy. It can sit there and rot. Interesting that no other dept in store got downsized..such as the hunting dept. This is a hot subject with me. Call me petty...I call it not giving in to what they think I need. :?

kidhauler1948 03-31-2011 03:05 PM

They pulled them all out here in my area it is such an inconvience to have to travel over 20 mles just for a zipper
and some interfacing etc. There is one tiny quilt store in town but not much selection.

bamamama 03-31-2011 03:13 PM

The walmart near me said they are not closing their fabric dept. I asked someone a few months ago when I heard they were all closing.

bigsister63 03-31-2011 03:17 PM

Who do you believe? Sales clerk at walmart or walmart corp stated by olebat and quiltnnan. Stay tuned.

FroggyinTexas 03-31-2011 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by bobbie1
Our Walmart in Colonial Heights, VA took bolts of fabric out of store. They remodeled and brought in pre-packaged fabric. I totally refuse to buy that. It seems to me that by giving in and buying what they think we need..ie..prepackaged...we are in essence saying "we forgive you" for taking away something that gives us pleasure and buy what you want us to buy. It can sit there and rot. Interesting that no other dept in store got downsized..such as the hunting dept. This is a hot subject with me. Call me petty...I call it not giving in to what they think I need. :?

Not long ago a department manager told me that the attitude of corporate management was that they didn't care what customers wanted. They plan to put in what they want to put in and customers can take it or leave it.

I have written to WalMart and told them I am mostly leaving it, having reduced my spending in the store by more than 75%. The latest news from Wall Street is that WalMart is losing market share to Dollar General and other such stores. Maybe what we ought to do is petition those stores to stock fabric by the bolt. froggyintexas

MartyT 03-31-2011 03:56 PM

I live within driving distance of three Walmarts...all have closed their fabric depts..They forced the fabric stores in the area out of business and now don't have fabric either! Good Luck..I hope they are telling you the truth.

MartyT 03-31-2011 03:56 PM

I live within driving distance of three Walmarts...all have closed their fabric depts..They forced the fabric stores in the area out of business and now don't have fabric either! Good Luck..I hope they are telling you the truth.

HummerGardenCrafts 03-31-2011 03:58 PM

We have one Walmart out of 6 that still has fabric. Hope some of the other ones can get that section back.

ccrow99 03-31-2011 04:32 PM

I hope you're right about all the Walmarts. I have bought miles of fabric from Walmart over the years and ALL the stores around me have downsized. I'd give anything to see at least one department restored.

svenskaflicka1 03-31-2011 05:33 PM

ours in MN said they were going to "keep" their fabric department. then they closed it, and have substituted precuts only in their craft department. i hope they do better by you folks than they did by us. the only kit i purchased from them was shorted by a yard and a half of a key fabric, and a different one substituted with no note of that made on the packaging. it ruined the whole look of the baby quilt i was working on. i don't even bother looking there any more.