Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Husqvarna foot problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/husqvarna-foot-problem-t269203.html)

cac 08-25-2015 11:24 AM

Husqvarna foot problem

I own a Husqvarna Diamond Delux sewing machine. I have been having a problem with the free motion quilting foot. I have broken 2 since May. The wire at the top, which allows the foot to rise and fall for movement of fabric, keeps breaking. Has anyone else had this problem, and how was it resolved? Thanks for your input.

PaperPrincess 08-25-2015 11:48 AM

Hi. I'm assuming that you are taking about one of the free motion (hopping) foot with the spring. I haven't had any problems with mine. There are a couple special settings you need to set in order to use the foot properly. Not at home, so I can't look at the manual to tell you which menus they are in. Are you sure that you are installing the foot properly? The only other thing I can think of that would cause this is you are moving your quilt sandwich too fast and catching the bottom of the foot in the fabric, twisting the foot & breaking it. What does your dealer say? I would have them show you how to install the foot and also show you what settings need to be changed and what they should be changed to.

Sally J 08-25-2015 08:30 PM

I don't have your exact Viking, but on my two Vikings a old Designer 1 and a 875 I don't use the hoping foot. Both machines have a setting for a "hover" free motion foot setting. Lots easier to move and lots less noisy. Have you tried this? I would ask your dealer about getting the stationary foot and try this method.

carslo 08-26-2015 06:40 AM

I was having that problem with that Husky foot also. Seems to me it was too weak. I was watching something that Leah Day had done to make a universal foot work on any machine and that is what I did. I spend big bucks on Husky feet and they continued to break, so I switched to this. Good luck!

Here is the youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APD6s7PwoqU This solved the problem for me.

June N 08-26-2015 07:11 AM

If you are talking about the "darning foot" It looks like a bug to me with a little wire out the back that goes under the needle screw to make it go up and down. If that is the one you are talking about I have used super glue to reinforce that area where the wire goes into the back of the foot. My Designer 1 did not come with this foot. Neither did my #1+ but I use this foot all the time for FMQ.

Hulalulu 08-26-2015 09:40 AM

Make my own notes -- seems like on my 870 the best setting using the spring action H/V foot is to set the tension at 3.6 to 3.8 and the pivot height at -2. Once you change the tool setting to either free motion setting, go to the top of the listing and you will see the tension has been automatically changed to 3.0 and the pivot to zero. Do test before use on a scrap quilt sandwich with the same batting...
You might want to visit or join one of the Yahoo Groups -- they are free. The H/V groups include the one for Sapphire, where you can ask, and think that you will find there is one for the Diamond. This is my second spring action foot -- the first one lasted about 4-5 years before the wire broke -- pretty sure in my case it was because of moving too fast! I use the floating foot more than the spring action...just personal preference.

Claire123 08-28-2015 04:31 PM

You have a beautiful, expensive machine. Have you run this past the dealer? In my area they offer wonderful classes and are very helpful. Also, any chance it's attached to the machine wrong?

Shelbie 08-28-2015 06:06 PM

Are you certain that you have the right foot for your machine? Not all Husqvarna feet will fit every model. (Ask me how I know this.) Husqvarna machines are divided into "classes". My #1 plus machine's walking foot would not fit my Husqvarna Prelude 360 (a class 5 machine) which really annoyed me as the walking foot for each machine was well over $100. Perhaps it is the same with your free motion foot. The differences were not huge but just enough that they were not interchangeable and would not work on other Husqvaranas.

patski 08-28-2015 06:08 PM

are you dropping the feed dogs?