Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I "Found" some free batting! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-%22found%22-some-free-batting-t15888.html)

butterflywing 01-29-2009 10:01 AM

just make sure they're well washed. no surprises later.

littlehud 01-29-2009 06:42 PM

What a great idea. I never would have thought of that.

ksusan 01-29-2009 08:11 PM

I finished up a table runner today and thought of you while I was making the quilt sandwich.

When I made quilts for two granddaughters in December, I carefully saved the scraps of Warm and Natural and zig-zagged them together with cream colored thread in a 3 step ZZ.

Yup, I used a section of the pad I had created to make today's table runner. That was very cost effective :-)

One tip, always use thread the same color of the cotton batting because you don't want darker thread showing through a light-colored fabric.

Piecefully yours,
Kay Susan

christina bennett 01-30-2009 12:49 AM

It is Like free fabric!
Something else that I have learned from one of the charities is to use all
the little scrap pieces that I used to through out. I was told to sew them no matter what color or size and then use a template of the size block you would like to work with & trim. I was told this was a crumble block. It is very color full and fun to see the outcome.
I sew a few pieces every time I sew. This way the scraps don't over whelm me.
This way I always have some scrap blocks to put together. I was amazed at how many lap quilts I could make each year.
Happy Quilting! You never know where you will find a little free fabric or batting,It is fun when you do!
Chrissy B

ksusan 01-30-2009 01:07 AM

Great advice, Christina....

Quilt On! :)

christina bennett 01-30-2009 01:38 AM

Ok, It is 4:30 am here. What time is it there? I could not believe that a response happened so fast.
Happy Quilting, I am back to bed for a few more hours. Had quilting on the brain! That is a good thing
Chrissy B

ksusan 01-30-2009 07:49 AM

Christina, I am in the Central time zone. I had quilting on the brain during the night. In fact, I planned out a quilt with batiks and had the math down pat. I was so wide awake that I got out of bed and puttered around the living room before turning on the computer.

Then, once relaxed, I curled up on the couch with my flannel quilt and a quilting book (is there something else???) and gently feel asleep with puppy at my feet. That's how DH found us this a.m. when he brought me a steaming cup of java. It was minus nine degrees F. outside.

Quilt on!!!

Rox17 01-30-2009 08:39 AM

That's a great tip. Funny thing is I was just cleaning out some old blankets last evening to take to Goodwill. They would be perfect for batting for a couch throw. That will save me a few bucks.
Thanks for the idea.

Feathers 01-30-2009 11:11 AM

Christina: What a great idea sewing all the ity bity pieces to get a crumb quilt going. I just threw about 3 pounds of small pieces of fabric out that I thought were too small for anything but guess what? They are now becoming a crumb quilt block and when they become a blanket I'll post pictures. Thanks again.