Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am about 2 seconds from going back to sewing doll clothes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-about-2-seconds-going-back-sewing-doll-clothes-t105270.html)

LMB 03-06-2011 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jill
When I do diagonal lines on a quilt, I use blue painter's tape and follow that to get straight lines. Tonight I started to SID on a baby quilt and I decided to use the blue tape as a guide along the seam. I also reduced the speed on my machine and it turned out much better than it usually does. I realize that using the tape might not work on a twin-size quilt but thought I'd mention it anyway. My SID looks better than it ever did before. So hang in there...it will get better.

Well here's a stupid question. Where do you put the tape? On the quilt? Doesnt it get all sticky? I use painters tape on my machine to do like one inch or something then rip it off when I am done... but how do you use it to do what you said?

sewingsally 03-07-2011 05:23 AM

You may want to reconsider those doll clothes. I made Barbie clothes for my daughters when they were young. Recently I started making Barbie clothes for my grand daughters. Somehow in the passing years the clothes got really small. I can hardly see the seems any more.

bigsister63 03-07-2011 05:34 AM

Well here's a stupid question. Where do you put the tape? On the quilt? Doesnt it get all sticky? I use painters tape on my machine to do like one inch or something then rip it off when I am done... but how do you use it to do what you said?[/quote]

Blue painter tape does not leave residue. It comes up realy nice and can be used over again. Also it comes in several widths so it can be used as quide for lines that you want a distance apart.

Scakes 03-07-2011 06:45 AM

It does get easier. Your quilt is really lovely. Maybe try some lap size quilts and practice up a bit - the smaller size is easier to handle. Don't give up. You do lovely work. :thumbup:

doridori 03-07-2011 08:16 AM

I machine quilted an oversize King Size quilt as a wedding present for my daughter on my little old circa 1955 straight stich Singer Sewing Machine summer before last. I cut the batting into three sections, spray glued one section, meander-quilted that one section (it was the left hand side of the quilt so that all that was under the arm of the sewing machine was two layers of fabric and at times, some of the batting. Once I had one section quilted, I sewed together and glued in the middle section, quilted that, and then the last section. It worked like a charm. The top and backing were all one full size piece, but without the batting, it fit under the head of my machine. It was not "easy", but it was do-able and going forward, I will do the same for any other large quilt. This may not help with this particular quilt, but try it with other quilts. It makes a difference.
Good Luck!

Jill 03-07-2011 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
Well here's a stupid question. Where do you put the tape? On the quilt? Doesnt it get all sticky? I use painters tape on my machine to do like one inch or something then rip it off when I am done... but how do you use it to do what you said?

Blue painter tape does not leave residue. It comes up realy nice and can be used over again. Also it comes in several widths so it can be used as quide for lines that you want a distance apart.[/quote]

I put the tape as close as I could to the seam where I wanted to SID. Then you sew as close to the tape as you can, so at least you end up with a straight line. When I use it for diagonal lines I just match it with the sewn line and so it keeps straight, evenly spaced lines. I like it much better than marking lines with some type of marking pencil.

wraez 03-07-2011 09:51 AM

I don't like wresting with quilts either so I understand your duress!

For that reason, I only FMQ smaller quilts, like those for kids or lap quilts. The large quilts I will do SITD (recently discovered I like using decorative stitches so I don't have to concentrate so hard in making sure the stitching doesn't veer off the seam) or other easy techniques but I'll still do FMQ on the borders cuz it is easier than doing the center of the quilt.

Yes, practice practice makes it easier. Don't despair, just go with it and have fun

Your cat quilt is purrfectly adorable!

wraez 03-07-2011 09:53 AM

Oh just saw the reference to quilting in sections ... I've been meaning to try that but keep forgetting about it.

mammab 03-07-2011 02:59 PM

I love your quilt. Do you know the name of the pattern and where I can get one? Thanks

LMB 03-07-2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jill

Originally Posted by bigsister63

Blue painter tape does not leave residue. It comes up realy nice and can be used over again. Also it comes in several widths so it can be used as quide for lines that you want a distance apart.

I put the tape as close as I could to the seam where I wanted to SID. Then you sew as close to the tape as you can, so at least you end up with a straight line. When I use it for diagonal lines I just match it with the sewn line and so it keeps straight, evenly spaced lines. I like it much better than marking lines with some type of marking pencil.[/quote]

Thank you. I was afraid to try it on the material... but now I know I can try that. I always make better lines if I have something to go by... not a real good eye for a straight line.