Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am amazed but I shouldn't be! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-amazed-but-i-shouldnt-t131537.html)

cctx. 06-18-2011 08:43 PM

Here's the deal, if they insist on a quilt, then offer your price nicely.

By then, they will get the picture.

blueangel 06-18-2011 09:45 PM

I understand

Stitchit123 06-18-2011 10:37 PM

The one I liked the most is-Seeing as how your not busy==boy that instantly burns my buns ==could ya make me a dress and as soon as you say Sure and give them a price for your time they say But this will give you some thing to do. Like thats payment enough At this point the smoke is coming out of my ears- Sorry for the venting I was asked to make a fancy dress for a 2nd marriage out of several layers of satin and lace for some one I only just met who is a size 24 who thinks shes a size 5 and surely it should only take a couple yds and at most 2-3hrs of my time I politely told her to check the yellow pages for a seamstress I didn't have the time to spare after all -Grrrr Scratch Hiss Thanx I feel better now :)

jljquilter 06-18-2011 10:53 PM

Very good friend wants a quilt. No problem I could/would do it
until she added a dust ruffle, curtains and pillow shams all to match.

Ramona Byrd 06-18-2011 10:55 PM

Just smile, agree and ask which one they wanted to pay for, the Six hundred one or the thousand dollar one. When they pick up their jaws from the floor, you can be clear across the room and out the door!!

kathdavis 06-18-2011 11:59 PM

I just have so much I want to do and try that I don't have time for all the other. Sometimes I put off hemming my husband's pants because I have quilt patterns I want to try. :p)

CoventryUK 06-19-2011 12:15 AM

Rarely do commissions, causes too many problems!! I make what I want to when I want to! If someone wants to buy what I make....fine! Mostly I make for friends/family as gifts and, of course my quilts for injured soldiers!! This arrangement works for me!!!!! :thumbup:

leiladylei54 06-19-2011 01:52 AM

Those that don't quilt (or craft) have no clue how much work and time is involved. I can totally sympathize with you. I just never reply to a request OR I say some outrageous amount that I would charge and that usually bursts their bubble thinking they could get it for free or for the price of supplies only.

CAJAMK 06-19-2011 02:43 AM

This is a great post. I just started quilting in the last year (most are charity) and a few people wanted to see them. So I brought them in. Oh my gosh, next thing...one lady brought in material and wanted a tiny curtain made. I did it and I did not even receive a Thank You. Then others start telling they want repairs and alterations on clothing! I polietly state that I don't have the time. I work 2 jobs just to support myself. It's all I can do just to get my few charity quilts done! Needless to say, I just make quilts and don't take them into work!! Plus, I just quilt ...I am not a seamstress!!

mom-6 06-19-2011 02:49 AM

What blew my mind was the lady I had just met who wondered if I could make her a quilt for her neice's wedding next week. She hadn't seen anything in the store she really liked and besides it would be cheaper to just make one!

I told her it would be at least 6 months before I could start anything I didn't already have going. And I didn't think I'd want to do even a small one for less than $150.