Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am going to my first quilt show next Thursday. What should I expect? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-going-my-first-quilt-show-next-thursday-what-should-i-expect-t165012.html)

Jan in FL 11-07-2011 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by bkayw (Post 4648670)
Jan, I went last year and it was great. Lots of vendors lots of ladies setting at tables who take your dollars for the raffle quilts, so if interested in that take several singles. The water is a good idea as maybe taking your own lunch. There is a food service but quite expensive for just a sandwich. I plan on going up on Sat. you will have a jaw dropping time.

Bkayw, thanks! Do you remember if there were many longarm distributors there last year? I am looking for a longarm and wanted to test several and was hoping they might offer show specials on them.....

labtechkty 11-07-2011 05:13 PM

Be prepared to say many, many OMG"S...because the quilts are just absolutely stunning...and of course you will see many vendors that you normally don't get to see...that's great fun....

SharBear 11-07-2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by gramma nancy (Post 4619159)
I am envious. I only get to one show a year, if that. The best advice is to wear good walking shoes, take a credit card and a big tote, and don't forget a bottle of water. Pace yourself. There is so much to see, both from the vendors and the exhibitors, you wouldn't know where to turn. If you have projects in mind, take yardage requirements and snippets of any fabrics you plan to use. If you are on a tight budget, try to keep your expenditure totals in mind as you go along; it's so easy to keep buying because, if there are vendors from afar, you may see great fabrics that are not available in your LQS and you'll want to buy them all. At least I do.

But mostly, have fun. Think of all of us who would love to be there with you! (And remember where you parked.)

Excellent advice - I would add that you might want to take those small preprinted address labels for raffle entries. And if you have projects in mind -take the pattern with you; you can get an idea of how the ratio of different fabrics you are buying will look together.

HAVE FUN!

QandE2010 11-07-2011 05:27 PM

Jan, all the ladies have offered really good advise. AKA suggestions. The number one rule is to have fun. Regarding longarms, lots of time there are vendors at the shows demonstrating / selling long arms. Gee, sure wish I could go with you. I am in North Lakeland, but I am knee deep in completing a quilt for my daughter to take to her in Alabama when we go at Thanksgiving. AGAIN, have fun.

QandE2010 11-07-2011 05:30 PM

Sorry for the doublt post. I'm having problems with my computer or the site (or both) LOL

mandyk 11-07-2011 05:31 PM

Usually food is expensive and not that good. More money for goodies if you pack your own. Make sure your tote is lightweight. Hope you have a ball.

yfitn 11-08-2011 07:16 AM

West Palm Beach Quilt Show

Hi Jan,
I went to the show last year and it was REALLY nice. The quilts are from all over the world and lots of beautiful quilts from the local quilt guilds. If you have time, plan on walking across Okeechobee Road to what is called City Place. It is an outdoor mall with lots of shops, food, outdoor entertainment, etc. If you are staying overnight you will be inpressed with how pretty downtown WPB and City Place can be at night. Here is a link to the quilt show web site. Have lots of fun and yes they did have lots of vendors with the long arms there. Rhonda (Labelle)
http://www.quiltfest.com/activities.asp?id=36

annthreecats 11-08-2011 08:41 AM

Oh, I wish I could go. I recently went to a small quilt show in White Springs, Florida and had a blast. I talked to everyone. One woman was sitting outside demonstrating different techniques. She and I chatted for about 30 minutes. I was able to take pictures and I shared them here on the board. I learned about a new yarn to make a cool scarf and saw a lot of fun quilts made by local folks. It was great.