Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am going nuts Help please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-going-nuts-help-please-t72425.html)

sewmuchmore 10-26-2010 09:40 AM

I thought I wanted a bernina 180e now I not so sure they also have a 165e it is newer but is it as good as the 180e? I need help :shock: :roll:

MadQuilter 10-26-2010 09:44 AM

Have you compared features of each machine? That is what I would do. Identify the MUST HAVES and the WOULD BE NICE TO HAVEs. Pick the one that gives you the most features but also the best bang for your buck.

arbed31 10-26-2010 10:00 AM

Does the 180 have the usb port? I know the 165e doesn't. Are you going to use it mainly to sew or embroider? If embroidering, ask how will you get the designs from the computer to the machine. I have the 165e, it is a good machine but I hate the black and white screen (embroidery designs). I had to purchase a box to save the designs to a card and then put the card in the machine to embroider.

I upgraded a couple of years ago to the 730e with the color screen which I love and it has the BSR.

Quilter7x 10-26-2010 10:16 AM

I have the 180, it has a 9-pin cable, not a USB port. I believe in the series of Bernina's that goes from 150 to less than 200, the higher the number, the more features the machine offers, so the 180 would have more features than the 165. The 180 has a B&W screen.

A friend was going to sell her 155 and it doesn't have a needle threader. My 180 has a needle threader and a whole bunch of stitches and features that hers doesn't have.

One significant difference in the 165 and 180 is the width of the feed dogs. They are 9 mm in the 180 and I think 5 mm in the 165. I bought the machine to do stippling and embroidery with and the wider feed dogs are fine for either one (actually they're better for embroidery because you can do wider letters). However, when I have done 1/4" piecing, the wider feed dogs do seem to want to "eat" the fabric, so I do 1/4" piecing on my Janome.

I LOVE my Bernina for stippling! Hope this helps. :D

sewmuchmore 10-26-2010 03:17 PM

Woo hooo, You guys are awesome thank you so much I decided on the 180. It does more it even thou it is old I got more for the $$$. I will take a picture of it and post it soon I am one happy camper. I can have any lesson but it is so far away. Over a 100 miles round trip. DVD will help then I have you guys thank you thank you. This is my anniversary gift to me I have been saving for a long long time. Cash in all the quaters an dollar coins I have been saving it's worth it.

debbieumphress 10-26-2010 03:37 PM

Yeah Glad you found what you wanted with the help of the board too. Can't wait to see a picture. HUGS

sewmuchmore 10-26-2010 05:27 PM

thanks Debbie, however the pc serial port they gave me is not the right one :-( I hope they are going to give me one. :?

Quilter7x 11-02-2010 10:28 AM

They should since those cords really aren't used much any more. Just about everything today uses a USB port.