Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am my best critic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-my-best-critic-t251045.html)

bearisgray 07-30-2014 02:04 PM

I am my best critic

In the case of quilting -

Why? How?

Because no one else cares about the result as much as I do.

Because I learn from my mistakes.

Because - at this point in my life - I still hope to get better and learn new techniques and improve how I do old ones.

Because I want to make things that I will be proud of.

Because, after going through a learning curve to learn a new technique, it frequently takes much less time to do the process "right" the first time than to unsew and redo.

Because I want my items to be able to withstand the scrutiny of my Mom (even though she is no longer living)

By the way, Mom did not expect or demand "perfection." She did, however, encourage doing the very best one could!

joyce888 07-30-2014 02:20 PM

I'm one of those who tells everyone where the mistakes are and what I could have done better every time I show my quilts. My husband tells me I'm the only know who knows it's not perfect but I would be mortified if someone thought I didn't see the mistakes and took me to task behind my back.

bearisgray 07-30-2014 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 6824482)
I'm one of those who tells everyone where the mistakes are and what I could have done better every time I show my quilts. My husband tells me I'm the only know who knows it's not perfect but I would be mortified if someone thought I didn't see the mistakes and took me to task behind my back.

I don't always feel the need to point out my mistakes to OTHER people!!! I just try to make new ones with the next project!!!:o

PenniF 07-30-2014 10:30 PM

Because - i want it to be the best i could do. Take pride in the work - perfection is a myth.

ManiacQuilter2 07-31-2014 03:45 AM

I do strive to do my very best even when making charity quilts that will never have my name attached ti them. I would love to see one of my quilts make it onto Antiques Roadshow in 2252 long after I am dead and buried !! :)

ptquilts 07-31-2014 04:39 AM

I learned a long time ago, that I am WAY more critical than others when it comes to my quilts. I would agonize over color choices but they all came out good. I would ask my handquilting customers, do you want this pattern or that, quilted in the sashing, and the answer would come back, "Whatever you think is best."

nanna-up-north 07-31-2014 04:46 AM

There are a lot of us that are guilty of being critical of our own work. I also know where my mistakes are. But if it was perfect, I'd be a machine. I don't want to be accused of that.

Toni C 07-31-2014 05:00 AM

I try to be as close to perfect as I can. That's just me, and though it makes for fewer quilts, when I go to shows I think to myself "Wow I can do as good! Sometimes, I could do better than that!" which shows that perfection isn't a prerequisite to entering a show, that hundreds or thousands of people will look at your quilt even if it's not perfect and love it. I have never entered in a show and probably won't but to me that's an honor to be selected. I try to keep my mouth shut when I give a quilt, not point out the imperfection that jumps out at me. I never have had anybody say anything, but I would NEVER say anything if I was given a quilt so...Maybe as I get older I won't be so picky. I can only hope :)

tessagin 07-31-2014 05:01 AM

I am perfectly imperfect and so is everyone else. There fore you cannot expect perfection from anyone. I am thankful for the person/individual who just happened to think of me!

Jackie Spencer 07-31-2014 05:52 AM

I don't expect perfection, but I do the best I can, and when I make a mistake, I do my best to correct it, I can't just ignore it.