Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am at my wits end!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-my-wits-end-t234505.html)

Buckeye Rose 11-11-2013 10:30 AM

Try a top-stitching needle.....it helped when I had that same problem.

ManiacQuilter2 11-11-2013 10:45 AM

Take a tea break and relax (too early for happy hour!). Yes, you have to get it done since you are so close to the finish line. Lots of good suggestions posted but you already know about my trick using the Sewer's aid. I always preferred Sulky invisible thread. Never had a problem with it. Hang in there and don't forget to breathe !!!

justducky65 11-11-2013 10:48 AM

Well, checked the throat plate and it turns out there were a few nicks/burrs. I used some fingernail emery paper to sand out the rough edges and so far, no more thread breakage. So, if it doesn't happen again, that was the problem. Thanks for all suggestions.

MadQuilter 11-11-2013 11:02 AM

It may be that your needle has a burr or the needle is too small. Try a topstitch needle in a size larger than what you are using now. The way the topstitch needle is made doesn't allow for burrs. Good luck and much patience.

QKO 11-11-2013 11:11 AM

I agree with using topstitch needles and slowing down your hand movements. Usually mine breaks when I'm pushing too hard/fast...

riutzelj 11-11-2013 11:36 AM

i so love the knowledge base of this group. i am thread painting with rayon thread and it keeps shredding as well. not enough that i am getting totally frustrated, but enough to slow things down. i'll double check for something shredding and slow down my hand motions, see if that helps.

Jingle 11-11-2013 12:14 PM

justducky65, I need to remember this.
So glad you have it fixed. Usually when I have the breakage it is due to either me pulling at the wrong time or weak spot in the thread.

justducky65 11-11-2013 06:17 PM

Update: All was well until about 30 minutes in and then the thread started breaking again. I am starting to think that it is the machine. It just does not want to be used for quilting and just wants to be used for regular stitching and decorative stitching. On a positive note though, I did make some progress so all is not lost.

noveltyjunkie 11-12-2013 04:02 AM

Well, I'm glad you got another section done at least. It's super annoying when things go wrong for no obvious reason. I hope you get it done and gifted very soon!

QKO 11-12-2013 05:53 AM

Is it possible you have the wrong sized needles for your thread? I've found that makes a big difference.

Here's a handy chart that I keep laying around, showing what size needles are best for the various thread sizes.
I think I originally got it from Superior's website:

Size #70/10 - #100, (60 wt.) & MonoPoly.
Size #80/12 - #50 (50 wt.) threads.
Size #90/14 - #40 (40 wt.) threads.
Size #100/16 - #30 (30 wt.) threads and thicker.