Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am new to quilting and I really need help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-new-quilting-i-really-need-help-t27719.html)

cbmesu 10-26-2009 07:08 PM

I just started quilting and already lost my confidence! I need to know the must haves to quilt. And whats the easiest thing i can start with. And also is it really possible to machine quilt because I am being told you have to have a very expansive machine. Please help, I need to find something I enjoy for my downtime and I absolutely love the art of quilts!
Thanks Carrie

ladybugquilter 10-26-2009 07:25 PM

Welcome Carrie!!!

First off do not loss your confidence, this is only a quilt and you CAN do it!!!

Must haves for me are rotary cutter, self healing cutting mat and rulers. There other stuff I like but these are the must for me.

Easiest to start with I am self taught and started with a huge lap quilt, so I guess it is up to you and what you want/like. I know alot here recommend the disappearing nine-patch. I think any pattern with squares should be easy to tackle. If you do a google search for free beginner patterns you should of a good selection.

Machine quilting is just another skill to learn. I have a $99 singer walmart special and I wound not trade it. I have made 6 quilts, wall hangings and many other projects and it does great. I started with stitch in the ditch quilting (stitching along the seams) went ok. I just started free-motion, like everything else it gets better with practice.

So again you can do this. There are so many here that can and will offer help and confidence boost, so pull up your sleeves and jump it. I can't wait to see a picture of your first block :wink:

Prism99 10-26-2009 08:10 PM

You do not need an expensive machine to quilt. You do need a machine that does a good job of maintaining tension, makes even stitches, and can handle the bulk of a quilt. Only really junky machines can't do that. What kind of machine do you have?

In my opinion, the easiest kind of quilt to start with is one that does not require matching a lot of seams. Rail fence is a really good pattern to start with. Bricks (rectangles) are good too, because you can stagger the bricks.

I agree that a rotary cutter, self healing cutting mat and rulers are the real necessities for today's quilting.

sharon b 10-26-2009 08:13 PM

Just hang in there , do lose confidence ! The must have as staed before the rotary cutter, the mat and rulers.
i also agree a basic 4 or 9 patch would be a good starting point. Do you have a library close by or any one you could borrow some quilting books from ? Or even a magazine or two will be a great help. Also on the board there are so really great tutes, that have step-by-step instructions and pictures :lol:
And of course everyone here will do all they can to help you. We love to add to our growing flock of quilters :wink:
Welcome to the board
Sharon

redrummy 10-26-2009 08:28 PM

I agree with what the others are saying and wanted to add, remember, you are the artist, you do as you like with your art piece. Do not let anyone tell you that it isn't a quilt because....., or that you aren't doing it right. The right way is how you want to do it!!! i have learned so much by reading the texts, and trying what they say. Not all works for me, but I don't know till I try what interests me. I just did my first Machine quilting on an inexpensive singer. Not a bad job, but I am my worst critic and you will probably be yours too. Just relax, enjoy, enjoy, and have fun. Oh and enjoy!!!

Tippy 10-26-2009 09:05 PM

OK, color me the odd man out here.. as I don't think a rotary cutter and mat are necessary. It depends on what "kind" of quilting you're going to do..
I started with a good ruler, some sharp pencils and a good pair of scissors.
I am a hand stitcher primarily. You can easily make a first quilt by just cutting a bunch of squares, all the same size, and stitch them together by hand or machine. work on getting seams a uniform 1/4" and making nice corners.
before you know it you'll have a top to be tied, tacked or hand or machine quilted. Next thing you know you can try some simple HST or Half Square Triangles.. also simple and they can be made into MANY MANY different patterns.
I would suggest looking at the "basic" quilting books at a local Hobby Lobby, Quilt Shop or Library.. look for something VERY basic if you haven't done a lot of sewing before, right down to defining grain of fabric, selvages, etc. once you find something that makes sense and is easy for you to understand get it and read it through.. then go for it.. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! If you need help, just yell!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 10-27-2009 03:08 AM

Apparently the folks on this board didn't get the memo on needing expensive machines. Check out this link on everyone using Wal-Mart cheapies.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/27171.page

I think starting fairly small is a good idea. Do a table runner or some cool pot holders. Having a project done is a great sense of accomplishment.

Up North 10-27-2009 03:47 AM

My machine came from the thrift store it was a simple straight and zig zag stitch, It made lots of quilts.

Mamagus 10-27-2009 04:02 AM

Step by step.
1. Rotary cutter and ruler.
2. Fabric you like... try a crib quilt size first!
3. A pattern (try one without triangles for your first)
4. Cut and sew the top.
5. Did you like what you produced?
Until you have the top done don't worry about the layering and quilting.
If you didn't like the process have a yard sale and sell it all... but if you liked it as much as the rest of us do, you can come back for more advice later. We're open 24-7!

marsye 10-27-2009 04:09 AM

My grandmother only needed a needle and thread. :wink:
No you do not need an expensive machine. I too have a 100.00 Walmart special. :D