Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am over-run with fusible fleece - can I...? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-over-run-fusible-fleece-can-i-t241738.html)

Trisher 02-22-2014 10:10 AM

I am over-run with fusible fleece - can I...?

I swore off quilting until our house sold. Well it was a nice thought. I am an addict! So I am making small projects. Kind of a compromise with myself!

I am making a bed runner right now. Each block is 16 inches square. I am going to sandwich each block and quilt each separately. Then attach them a la Leah Day's QAYG method.

Question is - I have a ton of fusible fleece. I don't know what I was thinking! Could I use it instead of batting? I don't need loft or softness. If you think I can, do I iron it on to the pieced block or onto the backing? (only one side is fusible).

ckcowl 02-22-2014 10:14 AM

of course you can use it- as for which piece to fuse it to---personal choice- if you want to add stability to the pieced block fuse it to that- if it doesn't matter either way fuse it to which ever piece suits your fancy. then quilt as desired. :)

Trisher 02-22-2014 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6589848)
of course you can use it- as for which piece to fuse it to---personal choice- if you want to add stability to the pieced block fuse it to that- if it doesn't matter either way fuse it to which ever piece suits your fancy. then quilt as desired. :)

Thank you ckcowl for your prompt response! I would have never thought of the increased stability part - I will fuse it to the pieced block!

MartiMorga 02-22-2014 10:27 AM

Oh I have been dying to use fusible fleece - for my table runners I have been using quilters flannel. I would love to hear how you feel about the end product.

justflyingin 02-22-2014 11:04 AM

I would save my fusible fleece for purses/totes as it is really expensive when I saw it at Walmart/Joann's while in the states (and wanted some).

Nammie to 7 02-22-2014 01:47 PM

I used fusible fleece for placemats -- wasn't really impressed with it. I didn't think it adhered to the fabric, but maybe it was me!

Trisher 02-22-2014 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MartiMorga (Post 6589872)
Oh I have been dying to use fusible fleece - for my table runners I have been using quilters flannel. I would love to hear how you feel about the end product.

It actually worked well. It takes a long time to fuse, but I used a Teflon pressing cloth and took my time. Here is the block fused and quilted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]463837[/ATTACH]

DebbE 02-22-2014 05:53 PM

I also use regular fleece -- and it works wonderfully for baby & childrens quilts, tablerunners, place mats, etc. Gives the article a nice thickness and holds up beautifully in the wash.

athomenow 02-27-2014 08:31 AM

I've used it for table runners and placemats with no problem. I like the way they look, a little more crisp in the end. Washing hasn't been a problem either.