Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am a quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-quilter-t148746.html)

Central Ohio Quilter 08-29-2011 07:23 AM

I am a quilter, not a seamstress for my neighbors.

Neighbor asked me to hem up 4 pairs of pants for her. I told her that I would be glad to TEACH her how to hem them. She thought about that for a day and then asked me if there was something that she could use that she could iron up her hems so she would not have to touch a needle and thread.

I gave her my JoAnn's coupon and told her that she could find something like that at Joann Fabrics.

I haven't heard if she has them done yet or not.

At up to an hour per pair of pants, I could get a lot of quilting done in that amount of time.

What would you have done, or said?

Lacelady 08-29-2011 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter

Neighbor asked me to hem up 4 pairs of pants for her. I told her that I would be glad to TEACH her how to hem them. She thought about that for a day and then asked me if there was something that she could use that she could iron up her hems so she would not have to touch a needle and thread.

I gave her my JoAnn's coupon and told her that she could find something like that at Joann Fabrics.

At up to an hour per pair of pants, I could get a lot of quilting done in that amount of time.

The same as you!

auntpiggylpn 08-29-2011 07:31 AM

I know that most people don't understand the difference between a seamstress and a quilter. I can and do make and repair clothes and such but I much prefer piecing a quilt. My friends have no problem asking me to sew for them, whether it is new curtains or a seat cushion. They don't value my quilting, they value my sewing skills.

As to your situation, I don't know what I would do. You offered to teach her how to hem and she didn't want to. She was smart enough to know that there was a product out there that could be used instead of sewing. I probably would have done the same thing (given her the coupon) but I would have told her what to get and then offered to teach her how to use it.

Boopers 08-29-2011 07:35 AM

I tell my non-sewing friends the same thing. I don't sew --- I quilt.

Gramie bj 08-29-2011 07:35 AM

I would have just said no and told her to check with the local dry cleaners they have employees who do mending, or try one of the top end clothing stores, they do alterations.

wuv2quilt 08-29-2011 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter

The same as you!

Ditto for me. :)

MIJul 08-29-2011 07:37 AM

I would have said, "Sure. I charge $10 per hem."($20 per pair of slacks). And if she would have paid it, I would have done it. Extra money for more fabric. :-)

charity-crafter 08-29-2011 07:44 AM

If they are good friends, I'll give them a roll of wonder under and show them how to use it.

I they are neighbors, co-workers or people I want to remain friendly with, I'll give them a coupon and tell them what to buy.

If they are annoying people I tell them about it and where they can get it for them selves. Or i just look at them blankly and say something like, "hem? what's a hem? People do that? Reallly?"

valsma 08-29-2011 07:45 AM

Exactly the same thing as you did. It isn't as if I couldn't do it, I just feel that everyone should have the basic knowledge of using a needle and thread for simple things like hems.
Like you told her though there are things you can buy at JoAnn's and other places that sell sewing notions for hemming that require just the use of an iron.

janRN 08-29-2011 07:45 AM

I don't even hem my own pants!! I use the iron-on tape or roll them in a ball and toss them in the closet LOL!