Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am so frustrated....help!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-so-frustrated-help-t59507.html)

Ditter43 08-15-2010 11:01 AM

I really don't know if anybody can help....I guess I am writing instead of screaming!!
I have been working on a quilt as you go string quilt for a while now. I finally got all my blocks finished. I had planned it so the back of the squares would alternate colors betwen a light brown and a pink calico.When I had the strips sewn together and on my design wall, It seemed to be right!
I started sewing the rows together.The first two went together easily and I was pleased. Then after sewing the third row on, I realized it wasn't right and had to take it off. Then as I started trying to match the next row, I realized I had a problem.
The only way for the front to come out right, makes the back not alternate colors as I had planned. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to fix the problem. All I did was get more frustrated.
So now I am venting my frustrations here. I'm sure there is a way to fix this, and I will figure it out, but for now I had to get away from it!!! :XD: :hunf: :|

bkb 08-15-2010 11:09 AM

It's ok Ditter we understand...knowing you it will be beautiful when it is done

Darlene 08-15-2010 11:10 AM

I hope you figure it out. Especially after going to all the trouble to make it match up. I just wish I could get in the mood to do something or anything. LOL

charismah 08-15-2010 11:14 AM

OH Ditter....I know how that is....actually happened to me last night..I am working on a scrappy and I didn't know I had to assemble my blocks in all the same direction...I only realized it after I started assembling my rows....Guess what? IT isn't going to be correct..it is only a scrappy and I don't think anyone will know..so you just have to let somethings be...Then when I started assembling my borders..I spilled red Soda pop on them....now to the wash and I haven't even been able to quilt it....Anyway..you are right to walk away and let it sit for awhile.

Ditter43 08-15-2010 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by charismah
OH Ditter....I know how that is....actually happened to me last night..I am working on a scrappy and I didn't know I had to assemble my blocks in all the same direction...I only realized it after I started assembling my rows....Guess what? IT isn't going to be correct..it is only a scrappy and I don't think anyone will know..so you just have to let somethings be...Then when I started assembling my borders..I spilled red Soda pop on them....now to the wash and I haven't even been able to quilt it....Anyway..you are right to walk away and let it sit for awhile.

Charisma,
I know this kind of crap happens to us all! I guess I was over excited at my vision of how it would turn out!!! I didn't mention I sewed the third row on wrong TWICE before the light went on in my brain!! :cry:

Tilladare 08-15-2010 11:36 AM

If you can get the front looking the way you want, can you then take a good look at the back and perhaps "claim" the "out of place" blocks as chess moves?

I did an entire quilt once where the placement of block pairs were knight's moves... 1 over and 2 down or 2 over and 1 down.

Prism99 08-15-2010 11:38 AM

I would make the top as desired and let the back pieces fall where they may!

MadQuilter 08-15-2010 11:39 AM

SOmetimes we get too close to our work to see the forest for the trees. Taking a break may be just what you need. If the plan made sense in the beginning, I'm sure you'll find a solution in the end. Relax and view it with fresh eyes again later. Good luck.

Cherokeequilter 08-15-2010 11:52 AM

I have worked on quilts with great preparation planning only to find out that things went crazy somewhere. At that point I just wanted to eat nails. I am just finishing a really large scrap quilt which was made by sewing large and small odd shaped pieces together without a back support material. I did it in sections and then added one at a time with the idea of keeping it more or less square. But when I put it out on a bed it was going off in two corners very oddly. After battling with it for two nights I finally folded it in fourths in the middle and cut it square with the hope of starting another quilt with the left overs. Did I mention that I have two others that have been nicely packed away until I become more calm and have thought their challenges through?

Ditter43 08-15-2010 11:54 AM

Okay, I took a break, ate a chocolate chip cookie to fortify me, got a lot of encouragement from you all, now I am ready to go have another look! :-D